Bears receive four new 2018 commits

will-craig-mug

Cal football’s sights are currently set on their upcoming season and outplaying their preseason rankings, but even with their first game of the season just about a month away, the team has remained proactive in building for the future.

Staying true to their California roots, the Bears have received four new commitments for the 2018 season, all of whom hail from the Golden State.

Two of Cal’s four recruits, Will Craig and Evan Tattersall, will once again be teammates as both currently play for Granite Bay High School and announced their decisions July 29.

Miles Owens, who committed July 28, is a Bay Area native who currently plays for Bishop O’Dowd High School and Chigozie Anusiem, who committed July 30, plays for Sonora High School.

Headlining this trio is Craig, a 6’5”, 276-pound four-star offensive lineman who fielded offers from other Pac-12 schools in addition to Notre Dame and Yale. 247Sports has ranked Craig the 19th-best offensive lineman in the nation and the 33rd-best overall prospect in the state. Craig was first-team All-SFL (Sierra Foothill League) as well.

Owens, a three-star prospect and fellow offensive lineman with a 6’7”, 315-pound frame, will join Craig down in the trenches to help aid a thin offensive line. Rivals and 247Sports have Owens ranked 79th and 87th in the state, respectively. Owens also had offers from UCLA and Oregon State, among others.

Anusiem, a four-star defensive back, had offers from Pac-12 schools such as  Arizona, UCLA and Washington State as well as Notre Dame. According to 247, he is the 100th-ranked prospect in the nation and the 86th-ranked safety.

Tattersall, a three-star outside linebacker, is the second linebacker prospect Cal has recruited from this class and received offers from 15 schools, including Oregon.

Cal football isn’t the only sport to pull in new recruits as Jules Erving, the son of Hall-of-Famer Julius “Dr. J” Erving, will be a walk-on for the Cal men’s basketball team.

As the captain at Holy Innocents’ Episcopal School, he averaged 16.8 points per game in 22 games as a senior along with 4.5 rebounds per game. With a 38-inch vertical leap, Jules knows how to play above the rim much like his father.

Jules will join a very young Bears team which features seven freshman, including himself, and ten total underclassmen. Sophomore Jacob Orender and senior Marcus Lee will also be making their Cal debuts next season.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510