Cal Athletics, KGO renew agreement; Rugby earns 6 All-American honors

Rugby
ABFlyer/Courtesy

Radio:

One of the longest standing collegiate broadcast partnerships, Cal Athletics and KGO radio, will continue to build upon their legacy in a renewed agreement to air Bear football and men’s basketball through the 2019-20 seasons.

Venerable broadcaster Joe Starkey will return to Cal Athletics in his 43rd season to run the play-by-play. Starkey provides a wealth of experience to the position, formerly voicing the San Francisco 49ers from 1989 to 2008 while simultaneously upholding his duties at Cal. His dedication to Cal football was honored during the Big Game of 2016, when the broadcast booth at Memorial Stadium was officially dedicated as the Joe Starkey Broadcast Booth. In the 2018 season, Starkey is projected to voice his 500th Cal game.

Starkey is joined by former Cal star quarterback Mike Pawlawski, who will serve as an analyst in his fifth season as color commentator. Todd McKim will return in his 12th season as a broadcast reporter for the Bears. An hour-long pregame and postgame show will air on football game days, which will continue to be hosted by Hal Ramey and former All-American Lee Grosscup.

The agreement renewed by Cal Athletics and multimedia rights holder Learfield Sports ensures that Cal fans will be able to tune in to the San Francisco-based station (AM 810) from as far north as Redding to as far south as Fresno. At night, the signal reaches into Canada, Colorado and Mexico. The statewide Cal football network for the upcoming season are KAHI radio (AM 950, Sacramento), KESP radio (AM 970, Modesto) and KLAA radio (AM 830, Los Angeles).

Rugby:

Six pivotal players on the Cal rugby team were honored in the 2017 Collegiate All-Americans award presented by USA Rugby. The oldest intercollegiate sport at Cal, the rugby program at UC Berkeley has established itself as the dominant team at the Division 1 level. This past season, the team posted a record of 37-4, following a consecutive sweep of 7s and 15s titles, furthering the program’s championship legacy.

Senior flyhalf Russell Webb received his second-straight first-team All Americans honor in 7s and 15s play. Center and graduating senior Anthony Salaber earned his third-straight first-team All Americans selection for 7s, also warranting the award of second team for 15s. First time honorees senior forwards Kevin Sullivan and Connor Sweet made first team 15s. Senior and flanker Drew Gaffney earned honorable mention in 15s, and freshman wing Sam Cusano showed versatility in second team selections for both 7s and 15s.

Webb, Salaber, Sweet and Gaffney graduated as scholar-athletes, epitomizing the ideal work ethic of a student-athlete.

Contact Helen Thomas-McLean at [email protected]