Ed White receives Glenn T. Seaborg Award

white_calathletics_courtesy-copy
Cal Athletics/Courtesy

Ed White has received the highest accolade of collegiate and professional football, yet his athletic aptitude is surpassed by his motivation to strengthen community and inspire youth.

The career achievements of the All-American were recently recognized in the decision to honor White as a recipient of the coveted Glenn T. Seaborg Award. Established in 1995, the award is presented annually to a former Cal football player who has demonstrated exceptional leadership, academic and athletic achievement.

Named after acclaimed Nobel Prize-winning chemist and former UC Berkeley Chancellor Glenn Theodore Seaborg, the award serves as a reminder of the high academic standards all students at Cal are expected to uphold.

White played at Cal under head coach Ray Willsey from 1966 to 1968 as a star defensive lineman. While at Cal, White was voted consensus first-team All-American in addition to receiving first-team Pac-8 recognition.

His success at Cal provided paved way for a bountiful professional career, which began in 1969 when he was selected as a second-round draft pick for the Minnesota Vikings. White transitioned to be a successful offensive lineman while on the Vikings, remaining with the team from 1969 to 1977.

During this time, White was a member of four Super Bowl teams. White extended his professional career with the San Diego Chargers, where he remained until 1985 having played in an astounding 241 career games.

In his retirement from playing professionally, White coached at the professional level for seven seasons working as an assistant coach for the Chargers and St. Louis Rams. After his retirement from professional coaching in 2002, White returned to the collegiate level coaching at San Diego State and Cal.

Since his retreat from football, White has engrossed himself in his passion for art. White currently serves as the executive director of the Oak Lake Art Center, a nonprofit that helps cultivate a communal appreciation for art.

The coveted award will be presented at Memorial Stadium on October 21, when Cal hosts Arizona.

Contact Helen Thomas-McLean at [email protected]