UCSF East Bay pediatric clinic relocating to Berkeley

bridges_anissanishioka_staff-copy
Anissa Nishioka/Staff

The UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Physicians Pediatric East Bay After Hours Clinic is relocating to Berkeley, moving from 5700 Telegraph Ave. in Oakland to 3000 Colby St. in Berkeley.

The clinic, which is open from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Mondays to Fridays and 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, offers a number of services, including medical treatment, x-rays and a registered nurse telephone advice line.

The Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, which houses Berkeley’s only emergency room, announced last year it is scheduled to close and relocate its services to an Oakland campus by 2030.

Berkeley City Council is currently working to prevent the closure of Alta Bates, and Mayor Jesse Arreguín has formed a task force which includes Alameda County and Contra Costa County officials with a goal of keeping Alta Bates open.

City Councilmember Kriss Worthington lauded the move of the clinic to Berkeley, adding that if Sutter Health — which owns Alta Bates Summit Medical Center — is “going to disinvest in our communities, then (the move) makes sense.”

“(It’s) exciting to have UCSF in Berkeley,” Worthington said. “I wish that Benioff would take over an entire hospital and provide job training in Berkeley. (They have a) great reputation for what they do and great student programs.”

Contact Patrick Boldea at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @testeapteteroma.