11 UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism alumni nominated for Emmys

emmys_ucberkeleyschoolofjouralism_courtesy-copy
UC Berkeley School of Journalism/Courtesy

Eleven UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism alumni — including two UC Berkeley journalism lecturers — have been nominated for the 38th annual News and Documentary Emmy Awards.

The nominees include UC Berkeley Journalism lecturers Dan Krauss and Dave Gilson along with campus journalism school alumni Marjorie McAfee, David Corvo, Durrell Dawson, Shilpi Gupta, Daphne Matziaraki, Emily Taguchi, Sweta Vohra, Bill Whitaker and Edward Wong.

The News and Documentary Emmy Awards, which will be presented this October in New York City, are “a tribute to the outstanding work being done by these nominees who provide the viewer with thorough, fact-checked reporting” regarding current world issues, according to a National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences press release.

UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism Dean Edward Wasserman called the number of award nominations “an affirmation” for the campus journalism school, adding that it “energizes and emboldens” the school to try new things and expand its capabilities.

“We’re of course immensely proud. Most (of the nominees) are mid-career producers who (have been) doing exemplary work for a long time,” Wasserman said. “Their ability to do top notch work and provide leadership in the industry is testimony to their work as students.”

Gupta, an editor at VICE News Tonight, is nominated for two News and Documentary Emmys as a producer on “Gang Land,” a piece which examined “the murder capital of the world in El Salvador … and the impact it has on the (local) community” and was broadcast on ABC’s Nightline. Gupta also worked on two additional pieces — “Brian Ross Investigates: The Girl Left Behind” and “Brian Ross Investigates – 5 Days: Inside the Hunt for the Boston Bombers” — which also received Emmy nominations.

“I was thrilled to say the least,” Gupta said in an email, regarding her nominations.

Whitaker, a correspondent on 60 Minutes, contributed pieces on the Syrian refugee crisis, jails on Riker’s Island and Mafia influence in agricultural products — all of which received Emmy nominations.

Wong, who works on the international desk at the New York Times, is nominated as part of a team that worked on “Carbon’s Casualties,” a project which examined the status of climate refugees around the world with a goal to “put a human face” on climate change.

“Right now we have this political period in the United States where … we have climate change denialists in some of the top offices of our country,” Wong said. “We’re still telling these stories (and) being recognized for the value they bring to the conversation.”

Wong added that the project brought together a “large team of different writers, graphic editors and one photographer” and to him, the nomination “reflects the push toward visual storytelling” at the New York Times.

Wasserman said the Emmy nominations do “point with some justice to (the school’s) tradition of excellence.”

“People are gifted when they come here and even better when they leave,” Wasserman said.

Bobby Lee contributed to this reporting.

Contact Elena Aguirre at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @eaguirreDC.