Former Bears involved in Oakland A’s roster moves

baseball.kevin_foote
Kevin Foote/File

A pair of former Bears were at the center of one of the Oakland A’s latest roster moves as the franchise called up Mark Canha and optioned Michael Brady to Triple-A Nashville.

Canha has managed to stay healthy following an injury-shortened 2016 in which he only played 16 games, but the first baseman has struggled to find his footing against major-league pitching since his phenomenal rookie year.

The former Bear made Oakland’s Opening Day roster to begin the season but didn’t return to form, batting a mere .191 and striking out in 35.1 percent of plate appearances before being sent down to Nashville.

Canha’s stint with Oakland’s Triple-A affiliate did him well as it re-instilled some much needed comfort in the batter’s box. Over 278 plate appearances with Nashville, Canha slugged 12 home runs to go with a .271 batting average and a .357 on-base percentage.

In three games since returning to the A’s, Canha has collected three hits in 10 at-bats, one of which was a home run. Canha also stole home against the Los Angeles Angels as part of a double-steal.

Brady, who began the season in the minors, only made one appearance for the A’s in his second stint with the team of the season, pitching six innings and allowing four runs against the Giants as a mop-up man. In his first go-around with Oakland of the season, Brady allowed four runs over 11.1 innings. Against the Chicago White Sox, the reliever struck out the side in his one inning of work.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510

• Leila Blanc

Google Emini S&P Trading Secret to know the best futures trading system there is.