UC Berkeley paves way for Ben Shapiro event, securing Zellerbach Hall

ben shapiro, national right-wing pundit, sits on stage
Gage Skidmore/Creative Commons

Conservative author and columnist Ben Shapiro is set to speak at Zellerbach Hall on Sept. 14, as confirmed by Chancellor Carol Christ in a press conference Tuesday morning.

The Berkeley College Republicans, or BCR, along with Young America’s Foundation, or YAF, invited Shapiro to speak in July. The campus promised a venue for Shapiro after YAF alleged that the campus “denied” BCR’s request to host the event on campus, and campus officials previously said they would potentially underwrite space rental costs to secure spaces “usually not available free of charge to students.”

But BCR External Vice President Naweed Tahmas said that venue is not finalized, as BCR and YAF are waiting on a new security assessment and cost for Zellerbach Hall from the campus.

Tahmas alleged that the campus falsely reported to the press that it would waive all fees for the event. He added that the campus assessed the security costs of the event to be $10,000 if 1,000 people attend, which is half the capacity of the hall.

But according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, the campus did not promise to pay for the entire event — all student organizations that host speakers on campus are responsible for basic security costs.

BCR initially stated they requested a space with 500 seats for Shapiro’s event. Zellerbach Hall’s main auditorium holds about 2,000 seats, according to the campus facilities website.

“As a student organization, the proposed security cost places an undue burden on inviting conservative speakers to UC Berkeley,” Tahmas said in an email. “This high fee is effectively an unconstitutional tax on speech.”

The campus has committed to pay for the facility rental and staffing costs one time only for up to 1,000 attendees, according to Mogulof. But he added that the campus is yet to settle other details of the event with BCR.

“(If) you have more people, it might lead to an increase in the security fee that would be assessed,” Mogulof said. “This is true for every student organization and for every student.”

BCR and YAF hosted Shapiro before, in 2016, and the event passed without an incident. Mogulof said the campus is preparing for security based on the assessment of campus law enforcement professionals.

At the press conference, Christ said that UC Berkeley is going to have a “free speech year.” The nod comes after violent protests erupted on campus in reaction to Milo Yiannopoulos’ scheduled speech in February.

Check back for updates.

Contact Malini Ramaiyer at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @malinisramaiyer.

A previous version of this article misquoted campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof as saying, “This is true for every student organization and for every student.” In fact, he said, “This is true for every student organization and for every event.”

• SMH

..

Ben Shapiro — a racist Jew…: that’s always *ironic*…

.

• SMH

..

The BCR (hate group) can ask one of their rich white daddies for the money.

.

• D.Plorable

What an opportunity for your new Chancellor to show some leadership—something sorely lacking at the Universities these days.

I’m hoping to see some better setting of priorities. I recall them running short of slots in the most in-demand computer science class last year; did they fix this yet?

• MAH

I am afraid for you.
    I was so relieved my son decided not to go to University of California-Berkeley. Mob rule has become the day because the police are being told to stand down.

• usuck

lol don’t lie, there’s no way your son got into cal.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

She may be a minority?!

• mcradio43

Let’s watch Antifa do it again. But this time the MSM will be silent.

• Chris

Good, Berkeley seems to be growing up.