Berkeley electrician no longer employed after planned speech at Charlottesville protests

john-ramondetta-mug

A well known Berkeley white nationalist no longer works at his job at an electric company after being connected to the white supremacist protests in Charlottesville, Virginia.

John Ramondetta, also known as Johnny Monoxide, is a prominent white supremacist and runs his own white supremacist blog called The Right Stuff, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Ramondetta was scheduled to speak at the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville over the weekend. He worked as an electrician at Rosendin Electric until Wednesday, as first reported by the San Francisco Examiner.

Rosendin Electric’s Director of Human Resources Julie Moss said she could not reveal employee information because of company policy, but did confirm that Rosendetta no longer worked at the company.

“We’re a union contractor and employees are dispatched through IBEW,” Moss said. “I can only say that (Ramondetta is) no longer employed with Rosendin Electric.”

Ramondetta declined to comment on the matter.

Ramondetta’s departure from Rosendin Electric comes after Cole White, who was seen at the Charlottesville protests, resigned from his position at popular Berkeley hot dog chain Top Dog.

Ramondetta is a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 6, which published a press release on its website Monday to address Ramondetta’s involvement in the Charlottesville protests. In the release, IBEW said Ramondetta’s views and opinions “are solely his own, and do not reflect the views and opinions” of either Local Union No. 6 or its parent organization, IBEW.

“While IBEW Local Union No. 6 does not share the views and opinions expressed by John Ramondetta, we recognize that the Constitution of the United States allows him to express those views and opinions provided that he does so in accordance with the law,” IBEW said in the release. “The authority of IBEW Local 6 to discipline or otherwise hold Mr. Ramondetta accountable does not extend to the expression of his views and opinions as an individual outside of the workplace.”

IBEW emphasized in the statement that it strives towards inclusivity and diversity and that it condemns the violence and white nationalism that took place in Charlottesville.

Check back for updates.

Contact Chantelle Lee at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.