Berkeley College Republicans to pay $16K for Ben Shapiro event security

shapiro_gageskidmore_creativecommons-copy-copy
Gage Skidmore/Creative Commons

Update 08/20/2017: This article has been updated to reflect additional information provided by the campus on security fees for past speaker events.

The Berkeley College Republicans, or BCR, will pay more than $15,000 for the basic security costs of Ben Shapiro’s visit to campus Sept. 14.

BCR Executive Vice President Naweed Tahmas confirmed that the group has booked 1,984 seats — the maximum capacity of Zellerbach Hall — for the event. While the campus has committed to paying for the rental and staffing costs, BCR agreed to pay $15,738 for the the basic security costs.

In an email to the campus, Tahmas stated that BCR is “disappointed the university would charge our student organization such a high security fee,” though they have decided to go forward with the event to promote a “diversity of thought” on campus.  

“The formula (for security costs) is based on neutral criteria and is applied in a completely consistent fashion without regard for the identity of the student organization or the speaker,” said campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof.

Mogulof added that security costs are assessed by UCPD — not the administration — based on the safety and well-being of members of the community and campus.

According to financial documents provided by Mogulof about past speaker events on campus, the security fee to host Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor in Zellerbach Hall in 2011 was about $5,824. Mogulof said, however, the requested crowd space for that event was much smaller. He added that had BCR stuck with its original requested 500 seats, its fees would be comparable to the Sotomayor event fees.

The invoices also show that hiring fees, or “recharge rates,” for security personnel, such as police officers and sergeants, have fluctuated slightly over the years.

Among the provided invoices, the highest speaker event security fee was about $26,511 for the Dalai Lama in 2009, whose event was scheduled for all 8,500 seats in the Greek Theatre.

Contact Malini Ramaiyer at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @malinisramaiyer.

• Jonathon Sherwood

Lmao so they have to pay 16k for security to not do anything about radical liberal students throwing a tantrum and destroying their own school. If they really want to make a point they should get educated and debate him. Berkeley is in a pathetic state these days… #topflight

• SMH

.

Ben Shapiro — a racist Jew (like his chum, David Horowitz)…: that’s always *ironic*…

.

• Justin Tuttle

Point to the racism…. GO!

• California Defender

“BCR agreed to pay $15,738 for the the basic security costs.”

Basic? Hmm.

Checking the calendar for Zellerbach Hall, I see the “National Youth Orchestra of Venezuela” will be playing there next month, too. Will they be charged the same?

Next up is “Fist and Heel Performance Group”. Sounds violent. Will they be charged?

Then Mexican political activist and singer Lila Downs. Surely she will be charged, right?

Oh then it’s “Matt Groening and Lynda Barry; Love, Hate & Comics”. Hate is right in the title! Double charge the Simpsons creator! He’s one of those evil rich 1%ers.

By the way, why isn’t Ben Shapiro on the calendar?

• Brian

Would love to get full transparency for the security costs assessed to all organizations for each speaker they hosted on Berkeley campus during the 2016-2017 school year. Somehow I don’t think that will be forthcoming.

• lspanker

Transparency is for their opponents only.

• Justin Tuttle

Is Berkeley admitting that the left is so violent it costs a massive amount to keep students safe?

• lspanker

They would prefer that you did not notice…

• California Defender

Nah, it has nothing to do with safety as any attendees will be freely attacked by leftists as three overweight security guards paid only in 10% off Top Dog coupons stand idly by in a dark corner.

I believe the “basic security” receipt looks something like this:

$6,000 – Conservative/Republican/Moderate/Non-leftist Speaker Fee
      $4,000 – White Person Surcharge
      $2,000 – Male Identification Penalty
      $2,000 – Jewish Fine
      $1,738 – Jizya Tax
      $15,738 – Total

We only accept Banc of Antifa Credit Cards, North Korean Won, Cuban Pesos, or
      Melted Down Confederate Statues. Thank You, Don’t Come Again!

• SMH

.

Bboo-hhooo…

The BCR (hate group) can ask one of their rich white daddies for the money.

.

• California Defender

BCR is a hate group? Wow. Please do explain.

And I do believe the “rich white daddies” you seek are those of Antifa kids who, despite strong disapproval of their foolishness, still shower them with cash as they know they’ll grow up and out of that phase.

They’re right, you know.

As the saying goes, “A man who has not been a socialist before 25 has no heart. If he remains one after 25 he has no head.”

• Justin Tuttle

Awesome comment. So which narrative is it today? That all Republicans are uneducated backwoods retards while Democrat supporters are college bound rich ones OR that Republican supporters are rich educated college evil oil barrens while Democrat supporters are uneducated poor oppressed folk?