UC Berkeley senior thesis reveals gender stereotyping in economics forum

copyedited_simransarin_wu
Simran Sarin/Staff

A recent study on gender stereotypes in the anonymous online forum Economics Job Market Rumors, or EJMR, revealed what appears to be a hostile environment toward women in some circles of the economics field.

Recent campus graduate Alice Wu conducted the study as part of her senior thesis, using EJMR posts from 2014 to 2016. The focus of the study, according to Wu, was to “examine whether people in academia portray and judge women and men differently in everyday ‘conversations’ that take place online.”

Wu, an economics and applied mathematics double major, said in an email that she first learned about EJMR though friends interested in reading about prominent economists on the forum.

“I was very shocked when I saw the gender stereotyping remarks, given that its users are highly-educated graduate students in economics,” Wu said in her email.

Wu used her experience with text analysis from a campus machine learning course to identify and allocate gender classifiers in EJMR posts such as “he” and “she” as strongly predictive of male versus female subjects. Wu’s analysis found that the 30 words most indicative of a discussion about women, in order, were: “hotter,” “lesbian,” “bb,” “sexism,” “tits,” “anal,” “marrying,” “feminazi,” “slut,” “hot,” “vagina,” “boobs,” “pregnant,” “pregnancy,” “cute,” “marry,” “levy,” “gorgeous,” “horny,” “crush,” “beautiful,” “secretary,” “dump,” “shopping,” “date,” “nonprofit,” “intentions,” “sexy,” “dated” and “prostitute.”

The list of words with the strongest predictive power for males contained words more directly associated with economics and academics, including “adviser,” “Wharton,” “Austrian” a school of economic thought and “mathematician.” Nine out of the 30 words with the highest predictive power for men were directly related to economics, while almost none of the 30 words in the list for women were directly related to economics.

Campus economics graduate student Emily Eisner said she found the results to be “disturbing,” but not surprising. Eisner expressed concern that while many people in the economics profession are aware of gender stereotyping in the discipline, others remain in denial that the issue is a prevalent one.

Leslie Salzinger, campus associate professor of gender and women’s studies, noted that one would be “hard-pressed” to find someone in sociology or gender studies who would be surprised by the results of Wu’s study.

“People think of economists as masculinized, so when they think of women in economics, they highlight their femininity,” Salzinger said.

While some students and faculty members were unsurprised by the results of Wu’s study, others detailed experiences that contradicted the gender stereotyping implications of the study.

Campus professor of economics Martha Olney referred to EJMR as the “kind of forum that faculty have told students to stay away from” because of its penchant for displaying “nasty, uninformed posts.” According to Olney, the issue of gender stereotyping in the economics profession has improved over the past few decades, and although the environment is not perfect, it is “far, far better than it was 35 years ago.”

“I’m kind of surprised at how conscientious both students and professors at UC Berkeley have been about the topic,” said Katarina Jensen, a campus graduate student of economics. “In this profession, everyone is kind of aware that there are biases, and that when women present, it’s often perceived differently than when men do, but I feel that many professors are trying to combat this by making everyone feel more aware of this issue.”

Contact Amber Tang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

• FreedomFan

If it is such a hostile environment for women, why do women outnumber men on every college campus?

• StanFromSomewhere

Meanwhile, the popup ads on this site include clickbait on such topics as how Ellen’s fortune is now bigger than Oprahs.

• Nate Lever

This is certainly a well-done and timely thesis. Just dropping in this quote from Noah Smith for some helpful contextualization:

“Almost everyone except EJMR regulars despises EJMR. The site has a fair amount of the sexism and other aggression so common on anonymous internet forums (it’s been called “4chan for economists”, which in my opinion is a bit of an insult to 4chan’s creativity and sense of humor), but that can’t account for the near-universal visceral hatred that most economists feel toward the place. Most people who tell me how much they hate EJMR talk about what one PhD student called its “insecurities, careerism, and insane status and hierarchy obsession.” Essentially, EJMR vacillates between slavish worship and bitter disdain for the top people and organizations in the profession. These people deeply believe that they need to suck up to the big dogs to get the brass ring, and even though they go along with it – econ jobs, with their high salary, lucrative consulting gigs, and intellectual prestige, tend to be a pretty nice brass ring – they don’t like having to do it. So if econ is going to have an equivalent of the gung-ho young Japanese officers who launched repeated coup attempts in the 1930s, it stands to reason they’d come from EJMR.”

from http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/economist-gekokujo.html (ht r/Economics)

• David S

Clearly she never considered the possibility that the women these men know are such lesbian feminazi prostitutes that these are the words that naturally come to their mind when talking about women. I doubt they talk about their girlfriends or mothers using these terms. Sorry, that would be “blaming the victim”…right?

• Justmom

news flash!! do a study in the anonymous posters at any feminist site. they will be filled with hate, ridicule and disdain for men!!

• Buddy Martin

Make $2000 a week, all you need to do is to learn about Emini S&P Trading Secret, check out the website and you will know how it is working very well. I can assure you this because I’m from it earning now.

• Valerianus Maximus

Making money is sexist! You should self-abnegate in atonement for your white supremacy. People of color are proudly poor.