Sexual assault occurs in Unit 1

Unit 1
Desiree Diaz/File

Update 08/23/17: This article has been updated with additional information from the UCPD crime log about the details of the assault.

UCPD is investigating a sexual assault that occurred in Unit 1, according to the UCPD crime log.

A UCPD Nixle alert released Tuesday afternoon said UCPD received a report of sexual assault about 3:57 a.m. Tuesday. The assault had occurred earlier that same morning. The male suspect is a campus student who was known to the female victim, who is also a campus student. UCPD’s Criminal Investigations Bureau is investigating the incident.

Although the residence hall in which the assault occurred was not specified in the alert, the UCPD crime log said it occurred in Unit 1 Slottman about 3:10 a.m.

UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich said UCPD will not provide any additional description or detail on the location of the incident since the investigation is ongoing.

“When we’re actively investigating these types of cases, we have to be very sensitive to the victim and the case,” Reich said. “Also we have to be very cautious that we’re not providing too much information … because it really could compromise our effort.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call UCPD at 510-642-0472.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.