6 white nationalist symbols to look out for this weekend

confedflags

Obscure alt-right symbols have been surfacing recently as alt-right rallies crop up throughout the country. With an alt-right rally scheduled for Aug. 27 at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park in Berkeley, here are some common alt-right symbols and their meanings.

Confederate flag

While the confederate flag has been used as a symbol of southern heritage, recently, it has been interpreted as a symbol of white nationalism in America, owing to its roots in the Civil War. Among other issues, the Confederacy supported slavery and disenfranchising Black individuals in America. Several monuments of Confederate figures have been torn down recently, although the flag is still considered an inflammatory symbol by many.

Kekistan flag

The green, white and black flag of Kekistan, a fictional country, can be spotted at alt-right rallies, as a tribute to Kek, the deity of an online white nationalist movement. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the movement’s official mascot, Kek, is an image of Pepe the Frog, and represents a fictional god of darkness and chaos — in other words, the flag represents a meme. Kek is used as both a satirical jab at liberals and the alt-right’s mission of creating mayhem in society.

Valknot

Valknot translates to “knot of slain” in Old Norse, and is considered a symbol of the Norse god Odin. According to the Anti-Defamation League, some Odinists use this as a symbol for white supremacy and their willingness to sacrifice themselves to Odin in battle.

Iron cross

According to the Encyclopedia Britanica, the Iron Cross is a famous German military medal of honor first instituted in 1813 for service in the Prussian War Liberation. After several revivals, the medal was revived for the final time by Adolf Hitler in 1939, when the Germans invaded Poland. The Anti-Defamation League stated that the Iron Cross was widely discontinued after World War II, but it is still used as a symbol for neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

Bonnie Blue flag

The Bonnie Blue flag — a single white star on a blue background — unofficially represented the Confederacy, according to the Washington Post. Although it was never officially recognized as the Confederate flag, the symbol became widely spread because of “The Bonnie Blue Flag,” a song penned by Harry Macarthy.

National Socialist Movement

The National Socialist Movement, or NSM, is one of the largest active neo-Nazi groups in the United States, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. The organization grew out of the American Nazi Party, which was founded by in 1959 by former Navy commodore George Rockwell. The Southern Poverty Law Center states that NSM openly worships Adolf Hitler, and believes that the U.S. Constitution was “written by white men alone. Therefore it was intended for whites alone.” The group is known for their violent rhetoric, carefully staged protests and full Nazi uniforms.

Contact Revati Thatte at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @revati_thatte.

• LuzariusLive

Kek is not white supremacist. Almost all the kek’s I know are not even white. I understand the left wing’s desires to fight against nazi’s & white supremacists, but please don’t go accusing kekistani’s of this.

I want to help left wing overcome their insanity, but reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

• California Defender

This article is FAKE NEWS.

The Iron Cross was discontinued after WWII? Except for the fact its the symbol of the modern German Air Force and on all their aircraft. Today. Right now.

Kekistan? You are maligning a nation you know nothing about and to quote Indiana Jones: “You’re meddling with powers you can’t possibly comprehend.”

Valknot? Now you’re maligning a religion, too?

Bonnie Blue? It’s originally (and officially by decree of Louisiana) the flag of the Republic of West Florida. But yes, also a beautiful flag representing independence. And here’s the first verse and chorus of the Macarthy song, since you brought it up:

We are a band of brothers
    And native to the soil,
    Fighting for the property
    We gained by honest toil;
    And when our rights were threatened,
    The cry rose near and far–
    “Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
    That bears a single star!

Hurrah! Hurrah!
    For Southern rights hurrah!
    Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
    That bears a single star.

Sounds like a good patriotic American song. Quite popular, too.

• Lars Anderson

Kek? Lmao. Author is a clueless idiot.

• lspanker

Hmm, this dude Tyrone didn’t get the message about Kekistan being some type of white nationalist movement:

http://knowyourmeme.com/videos/169976-kekistan

• lspanker
  • lspanker

Did Revati actually do any online research before taking the bait and lumping the Kekistani flag in there with the rest of them?

• Noel Benitez Cruz

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shadow

lol. How about writing an article titled “Flags to watch out for in general” and put the flag of the evil Antifa there too.

• Travis Decker

lol. Kek is about as far from White Nationalists as it gets. This is why people say fake news. You literally just wrote a fake news story.

• Joseph Goodwin

There are people of all races and religions in Kekistan idiots…

• Ty

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Nergal

Kekistan? Really? They made the flag look the way it does, on purpose, just to troll people like you, and it is working fabulously. The worst part is that you KNOW you are being trolled, but your knee-jerk “Call him a racist” reflexes are so overwhelming that you fall into it, without fail, every time.
    No wonder they mock you.

• Pings

LOL, kekistan. They are trolls you have to learn the difference. You are feeding the trolls, don’t feed the trolls.