Lit places on a Saturday night

coloredited_alvaroazcarraga_blog
Alvaro Azcarraga/Staff

It’s Saturday night, and the chatter of excited partiers echoes through the streets. You listen from the window, pondering how exactly to take advantage of one of the few nights you don’t have to study. You’re over the typical frat scene, and you’re ready to dive into a new adventure. Here at the Clog, we understand how hard it is to find the latest and greatest party spots, so we went ahead and did some research for you.

Moffitt Library

To most people’s surprise, the most poppin’ party is happening right in the middle of campus. This exclusive location is open only to UC Berkeley students, leaving the public pondering what great spectacles await guests inside the library’s concrete walls. The Free Speech Movement Café attached to Moffitt’s side also offers several delicacies for you to choose from, leaving you feeling groovy. This silent disco is open until 2 a.m., so get ready to boogie the night away.

McDonald’s

Restaurants such as Cheese Board Pizza and Jupiter are constantly overflowing with intolerable crowds of people who spend the entirety of their dinner Instagramming their meals (#blessed). If this sight makes you lose your appetite, we have found the perfect alternative. McDonald’s on Shattuck Avenue is the antithesis of the local restaurants mentioned above and offers lower-quality food for low prices. Although recently updated, this corporate branch ensures that customers would still have that sense of familiarity as the smell of grease and cheap plastic overwhelms the diners from the moment they enter.

The Big C

You may be thinking, “Isn’t the Big C a popular location among Berkeley students?” The answer to that is yes — during the day. But at night, after the sun has set and the view of San Francisco has been consumed by fog, the hill is desolate — to say the least. If you’re an adrenaline junkie, hiking this historic hill alone after dark may be for you. With no lights to guide you up the steep terrain, you’ll be transported from the breathtaking UC Berkeley campus to a low-budget indie horror film. Just be sure to document your story on Snapchat to give people an idea about the exact time you mysteriously disappeared forever into the hills of Berkeley.

The Valley Life Sciences Building

Ironically called the Valley Life Sciences Building, this building gives you a chance to hang with the dead. With dinosaur skeletons lining the hallways, you’ll finally be able to reenact your favorite scenes from the Jurassic Park movies without interruption. If dinosaurs aren’t your thing, feel free to take a selfie with your Homo sapiens homies hanging out in the display case.

Your residence hall room

Yup, that’s right, you don’t even need to leave your apartment to have a good time. Plus, your friends are always there to hang out whenever you get lonely (Rachel, Ross, Chandler, Phoebe, Joey and Monica). Here, you’re also free of judgment and aren’t required to get dressed up (or dressed at all). Enjoy the night while binging away on television shows or that pint of Ben & Jerry’s you bought last week in a moment of weakness. The moment is yours to take!

With all these new hot spots to explore, you’ll never again have to stress about what to wear to the theme parties on frat row. Happy first week of school, Bears!

Contact Kirsty Fowler at [email protected].