Former college professor, charged with assault, alleges improper police investigation

clanton

Eric Clanton, a former Diablo Valley Community College professor charged with four counts of assault with a deadly weapon at an April 15 rally in Berkeley, released a statement Aug. 16 criticizing Berkeley Police Department’s investigation tactics.

Clanton was first booked in Berkeley Jail on May 25 after being arrested in Oakland earlier that afternoon, and he was later charged with four counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon. In his statement, first reported by Berkeleyside, Clanton alleged that the actions of BPD in connection with its investigation into him have legitimized “the violence and the rhetoric of the so-called alt-right.”

“My case threatens to set a new standard in which right wing extremists can select targets for repression and have police enthusiastically and forcefully pursue them,” Clanton alleged in his statement.

According to Clanton’s statement, he began being targeted April 19, four days after the rally, by a swarm of viral social media posts related to him. Clanton said in his statement that his address was published, calls were made to his employers and “countless threats of physical violence” were made against him.

Clanton further alleged in his statement that Berkeley police used these social media posts and videos to target him.

BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats said in an email that because Clanton’s case is still going through the court process, BPD will not comment on its investigative techniques.

“Ours Officers conducted a complete and thorough investigation, which was presented to the District Attorney’s Office for charging,” Coats said in her email.

Clanton’s preliminary hearing is set for Sept. 28.

Harini Shyamsundar is the university news editor. Contact her at hshyamsundar@dailycal.org and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.

• Thresh The Chain Warden

“right wing extremists can select targets for repression” Oh yea, nothing to do with the bike lock mate, you are the victim here. the kid you hit in the head is actually the oppressor. smh

• alex

lol they should drop charges and hand over the matter to vigilante justice

• Bill_Goodwin

Poor guy. Can’t even commit unprovoked felony assault. Trumps America, indeed. SMH

• Odd that this article would not include a link to widely available YouTube videos of the “alleged” assault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRQhtkonhc0

• Vichara

Antifa are an extreme expression of the modern, and therefore supposedly enlightened, anti-traditional view. (‘Traditional’ here means life lived within, and formed under a recognition of, there being a Reality/Truth higher than, and the source of, man, (higher than ordinary consciousness), of which people have different views and take different relations towards).

Antifa are inheritors of the anti-traditional view who equate anyone standing on the Right as naive, ignorant, racist, homophobe, etc. But these critical ones, standing outside and above are naive and uncritical of themselves. A challenge for modern critical consciousness: how to become conscious and critical of itself as ‘a way’, ‘a view’.

• Leila Blanc

When you apply the Emini S&P Trading Secret method you’ll find the easiest way to earn money, Google Emini S&P Trading Secret and you’ll see what I mean.

• roccolore

Clanton is a fascist left-wing crybaby.

• spencer_e9876

“fascist left-wing”

Yeah, um, that’s not how fascism works.

• lspanker

You don’t seem to understand how anything works…

• spencer_e9876

Please elaborate.

• Gladys McFibben

Facism can come from any side. Look up the true definition. While real Nazis hijacked for some time doesn’t mean it can’t be used by anyone. His philosophy is well documented what you use to corrupt to your own political comments are all on you.

• spencer_e9876

“Facism can come from any side. Look up the true definition.”

No, dude, it can’t. I know what the word means. The “true definition” includes the fact that it is a right-wing philosophy of government. Yes, you can have authoritarianism from either end of the spectrum, but fascism is most definitely a right-wing flavor of it.

• Mark Weaver

Like it or not, ANTIFA, or rather ‘PROFA’, is fighting on the side of the left. They want total and complete control over what everyone can say, think and do and are extremely violent.

• JSpicoli

According to your overlord Mr. Google. Also google “white couple” “american inventors” and “Oven definition”

• JSpicoli

Yes it is. Get up to speed

• Killer Marmot

For better or worse, there are video cameras everywhere, and they are getting higher quality all of the time. This means that if you misbehave in public, you may well be a YouTube sensation before you return home.

• Nunya Beeswax

Poor poor baby.

• alex

i say drop the charges and let the public deal to him see if he prefers that

• s randall

The only way to keep things peaceful is to prosecute the haters on both sides.

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/08/27/kyle-based-stickman-chapman-arraigned-banned-possessing-weapons/

• lspanker

They can “hate” all they want as long as they don’t initiate acts of violence.

• Spanker Dane

Sucks that tax dollars go to pay for the salary of cowardly scum like this Clanton creep.