UCPD arrests student in connection to Clark Kerr burglaries

brief-mug-copy

Update 08/31/2017: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich.

UCPD arrested a UC Berkeley student in connection to two burglaries that took place at Clark Kerr Campus on Tuesday

According to a Nixle alert released Wednesday morning, UCPD responded to Clark Kerr Campus for an in-progress burglary about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday. The three female victims, who occupied the dorm room in Building 3, woke up about 5:50 a.m. to a female burglar ransacking their room. When the victims confronted the suspect, she fled the scene.

UCPD responded to a report of a second burglary in the same building about 11:11 a.m. Tuesday.

“The male victim placed his laptop on his desk at approximately 12:05 a.m. and went to sleep. When the victim awoke at approximately 9:45 a.m. he discovered that his laptop was missing,” the alert said. “The victim’s roommate noticed a suspicious female loitering in the hallway near their room at approximately 2:39 a.m.”

According to the alert, the suspicious female matched the description of the suspect from the first burglary. The alert added that a suspect involved in the burglaries has been identified, although UCPD did not identify her in the alert.

UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich identified the suspect as Karla Vasquez, a female UC Berkeley student. According to Reich, Emeryville Police Department conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle, and Vasquez was the driver. In the course of that stop, the officers discovered stolen property from one of the Clark Kerr burglaries.

“Our officer conducted an investigation and so we believe that she was responsible for the two burglaries at CKC,” Reich alleged.

Reich said that Vasquez was in custody on unrelated charges through EPD, but that UCPD also arrested Vasquez for two counts of residential burglary. According to Alameda County’s Inmate Locator, Vasquez was also charged with vehicle theft and unlawful driving or taking of a vehicle.

She is currently being held at Berkeley Jail and is scheduled to have an attorney and plea hearing Friday morning at Rene C. Davidson Courthouse.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

• MetaMusic

I bet you would steal my computer if you had the chance huh Karla

• lspanker

Hmm, turns out she’s a Business Adminstration grad student and Latino Business Student Association member. Sounds like she’s an advocate of the Pancho Villa school of economic enhancement…

• hexecute

Wrong person. The BA grad student’s name is spelled differently, and this student is only 18-years-old.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/277864618-story

• CamNewton

delete this comment it is inaccurate