Recipe: Taiwanese glutinous rice

Food Glutinous Rice Oil Meal Asia Taiwan
Creative Commons/File

The summer months have flown by, and now the routine study marathons are about to begin. This thought is definitely not a pleasant one, so we at the Clog have decided to reveal a wonderfully delicious recipe from the exotic streets of Taiwanese night markets: Taiwanese glutinous rice.

Savory, fragrant and hearty, this dish is one that’ll bring comfort to the deepest corners of your soul. The light nutty undertones of the sesame oil perfectly harmonizes with the delicate earthiness of the shiitake mushrooms. The tender, chewy grains of glutinous rice are flavored perfectly by the signature soft kick of white pepper and five spice. The sliced shallots bring the perfect touch of smokiness and bite to the table. Without a doubt, this recipe will transport you on one last quick vacation getaway before the real study grind starts.

Ingredients

Makes 4 servings

2 cups glutinous rice

5 large shitake mushrooms

3 tbsp. soy sauce

3 tbsp. sesame oil

1/2 cup sliced shallots

1 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. five-spice powder

Directions

Soak the glutinous rice in water for six to eight hours or overnight. This soaking process is crucial, as it’ll help to hydrate the rice grains and make the grains in your product that much more tender and delicious!

Slice the shiitake mushrooms and shallots into bite sized pieces that’ll mix well throughout the glutinous rice.

Sautee the mushrooms and shallots in sesame oil over medium-high heat in a skillet until they’re about halfway cooked.

Drain the glutinous rice, then add to the pan that you’ve been using to sautée the mushrooms and shallots.

Add the soy sauce, then mix all the ingredients together thoroughly in the pan.

Add approximately 3/4 cup of water, then stir the ingredients in the pan until all water has evaporated.

Add in the white pepper and five spice and mix in thoroughly.

Turn off the heat, then pour the rice mixture into a steamer and steam for about 45 minutes, or until rice is completely cooked through.

Lastly, serve! You may want to garnish with a sunny egg, cilantro or any other available fresh greens.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].