Department of Homeland Security classifies Antifa actions as ‘domestic terrorist violence’

antifa_joshuajordan_file-copy
Joshua Jordan/File

The Department of Homeland Security has classified militant activities by Antifa, an anti-fascist organization, as “domestic terrorist violence,” according to documents obtained by Politico.

Antifa members have been present at multiple violent protests that occurred in August, including the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, the “Free Speech” rally in Boston and the “No to Marxism in America” rallies in Berkeley.

“This decision on the federal level may have significance when it comes to the allocation of federal resources and the prioritization of federal efforts,” said UCPD spokesperson Sabrina Reich in an email.

In February’s protest against Milo Yiannopoulos’ scheduled campus appearance, a group of about 150 masked agitators interrupted peaceful protesters with militant action that resulted in broken windows and large fires. At the “No to Marxism in America” protest in August, similarly masked Antifa members broke through police barricades with flares.

“They use extreme violence and intimidation to silence anyone who opposes them,” the rally’s organizer, Amber Cummings, stated in a Facebook message. She called the federal classification of Antifa as a terror organization a “move in the right direction.”

In an op-ed to The Daily Californian in May, anonymous members of Berkeley Antifa defended their actions.

“We are anti-fascists. We are not paramilitary, outside agitators, or punks looking for a fight. We are members of this community who are invested in its safety,” members of Berkeley Antifa wrote.

Antifa’s violent tactics made them the subject of an online petition in February that called for President Donald Trump to declare Antifa a domestic terror organization. As of now, nearly 123,250 people have signed this petition. A similar petition, which started less than a month ago, has reached nearly 350,000 signatures.

“You may disagree with our actions, but if it protected even one student from being targeted, then we are not ashamed,” members of Berkeley Antifa wrote in their op-ed.

UCPD and the campus have collaborated to protect the campus during past and in preparation of future violent protests. In advance of Ann Coulter’s scheduled visit in May, which was canceled before it occurred, UCPD brought hundreds of extra officers costing more than $600,000 in total, according to Reich. Officers prevented anyone from entering campus wearing a mask and arrested noncompliers.

“I am fearful that the police won’t try very hard to keep Antifa violence under control,” Mitchell Zimmerman, a former UC Berkeley law student, stated in an email.

Despite potential changes in the federal approach to Antifa extremist protests, the new classification has not changed UCPD’s understanding of Antifa.

“On a campus, local, and regional level we already have ample evidence that extreme groups and individuals are more than ready to engage in violent, unlawful behavior in support of their political beliefs,” Reich wrote.

Contact Alicia Kim at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @aliciackim.

• FreedomFan

It’s hilarious the way violent campus Democrats have fueled the mystique of the Ben Shapiro phenomenon. Brave Ben has become a folk hero to Conservatives for standing up to then slaying every Dim he encounters. Who won’t be watching him at Berzerkely tomorrow?

Google: “Streisand Effect”, Democrats

• Sam Spade

#antifa

• Killer Marmot

When you have two groups of thugs warring it out — in this case, Antfia and White Supremacists — you don’t pick sides, but rather label them both terrorist groups and hold them to the rule of law.

• Kathryn Javandel

I suspect that both groups include a number of thugs who don’t really care about political doctrine but who really like to hurt people and destroy stuff.

• Clark Sullivan

Not once has #Antifa ever murdered anyone while white supremacists have openly plotted and committed murder on dozens of separate occasions.
    This narrative was written by Russian twitterbots and you all were duped. https://arcdigital.media/how-russian-alt-right-twitter-accounts-worked-together-to-skew-the-narrative-about-berkeley-f03a3d04ac5d

• Killer Marmot

“Not once has #Antifa ever murdered anyone”

Well there’s a resounding endorsement. But if they carry on as they are then it’s only a matter of time till someone dies at their hands. That’s what tends to happen when you kick the crap out of people for a hobby.

• Clark Sullivan
        • Killer Marmot

That article is a preposterous apology for a violent group that doesn’t bother distinguishing between true white supremacists, Trump supporters, libertarians, or just someone carrying an American flag.

And why should they? Many come out just for the joy of beating people up.

Almost all conservatives denounce white supremacists. Progressives need to do the same for the Antifa.

• Rollie

“Not once has #Antifa ever murdered anyone…”

Not for lack of trying. The man whose skull was cracked by a bike lock, last April in Berkeley, could very easily have died from it.

Besides, how does the higher body-count of white supremeacists justify antifa’s violence anyway? You’re practicing a zero-sum, moral relativism that lacks any absolute values. So long as the violence of your thugs stops just short of that of their thugs, then it’s justified, right?

• Jack Spencer

They had better watch their step. The Government is going to infiltrate and destroy them just like they did the Black Panthers. Their leaders are going to end up in sub basement isolation cells at the Federal Supermax Penitentiary.

• Howard Broussard

not seeing these white supremacist in Berkley, Portland, Seattle, and LA yet non discriminant beats downs involving several antifa on single individuals which seem random in nature, people of the press right and left leaning, people wearing clothing with the us flag on them, veterans, people wearing Trump clothing, non of them have weapons or shields or armor and most are trying to flee and they are literally surrounded and beaten, self defense law even in the most liberal of states in which you are required to attempt to leave a hostile situation before use of deadly force, state if you no longer are able to remove yourself from the situation and the threat persist just force to stop the threat comes into play, so if I see trouble and try to leave and then I get surrounded and these same people begin to assault me deadly force become applicable and 100% justified, food for thought, this is a very probable outcome eventually the wrong person at the wrong time is going to be a target of antifa aggression and the blood will flow, violence begets violence.

• dwss5

I took upon myself to re-arrange Howard Broussard’s comment to better clarify it.
      (BTW, I partially agree with it).

Although I’m not seeing these White Supremacists in Berkley, in Portland, in Seattle, and in LA, I do see gangs of several Antifa people non-discriminantly beating down on single
      individuals. This seems random in nature; people of the press Right and
      Left-leaning, people wearing clothing with the US flag on them,
      veterans, people wearing Trump clothing. None of these people have weapons or
      shields or armor and most are trying to flee, and then they are literally
      surrounded and beaten.

Self-defense laws even in the most liberal of
      states require you to attempt to leave a hostile situation
      before the use of deadly force, and these laws state that if you no longer are able to remove
      yourself from the situation and the threats persist, you are justified in using force to stop
      the threats. So if I see trouble and try to leave, and then I subsequently get surrounded and these same people begin to assault me, then deadly
      force become applicable and 100% justified.

Food for thought
      This is a
      very probable outcome; eventually the wrong person at the wrong time is
      going to be a target of Antifa aggression and the blood will flow.
      Violence begets violence.

• Jack Spencer

Just wait till the Hells Angels show up and annihilate them

• Bob Bell

Conspicuous by its absence in the editorial is the fact that DHS (along with DOJ) issued their report in April of 2016. As I recall, Donald Trump hadn’t been President very long in April of 2016 (sarc). Why is the Daily Cal editorial board so anxious to hide the fact that it was the Obama administration that made this determination? Follow t link and read the Politico article.

• FreedomFan

Antifa and white supremacists are both violent, bigoted thugs. While everyone– especially the right–condemns the tiny number of actual white supremacists, leftists love their antifa fascists. The editorial board needs to do some serious soul searching. Or not…Trump needs another term.

• Reindert Daniels

Now that Antifa finally has been recognized for what they are, domestic terrorists, it is time to jail the Daily Californian’s editorial board.

• Mitchell Zimmerman

Let me just suggest to others: No one needs to respond to the attempted diversionary provocation of the above comment, and a discussion of the issues will proceed better, if there is to be one, without going down this rabbit hole.

• lspanker

Funny how those who have made excuses for the diversionary provocation of Antifa are now offended when the shoe is on the other foot. It’s quite funny how the oh-so-goody-goody peace-and-love liberals were willing to endorse violence and thuggery when they thought they could use it for their own ends.

• jim hoch

Mitchell, another attempt to prevent other people from expressing their thoughts? At least you are consistent.

• Mitchell Zimmerman

Telling people to ignore Daniels’ suggestion that the Daily Cal’s editorial board should be jailed is obviously not preventing others from expressing their thoughts. Daniels expressed his thought. It’s insupportable so I suggest people ignore it.

• Killer Marmot

It would be nice, though, if the editorial board took a position that involved actual principles beyond “left-wing good, right-wing bad.”

• Rollie

Yeah, do that and you’ll become exactly what you criticize.