Police apprehend suspect in connection to report of armed individual near Longfellow Middle School

garden_amandahart1
Amanda Hart/File

Berkeley Police Department officers have apprehended a suspect in connection with a report of an armed man near Sacramento and Ward streets.

According to BPD Officer Jennifer Coats, BPD received a report of a man with a gun who brandished the gun at someone near Sacramento and Ward streets about 3:36 p.m. Tuesday. Officers arrived on the scene and established a perimeter around the area.

Sacramento Street was closed between Derby and Stuart streets as officers searched the area, and Longfellow Middle School was also briefly placed on lockdown because of the proximity of the report to the school, according to Coats. BPD was in “constant contact with school officials” during this time.

“It was reported the suspect may have gone into a nearby house,” Coats said in an email. “A short time later Officers were able to take a subject into custody.”

Coats also said in her email that the lockdown has been lifted and the roadways are now open. She added that BPD officers “are still investigating this matter.”

Longfellow Principal Marcos Garcia released an emailed statement to the students’ families about 5:12 p.m. Tuesday, in which he informed the community that the lockdown started at 3:30 p.m. and lasted about 45 minutes because of “police activity and safety concerns.”

“Longfellow staff implemented its emergency procedures smoothly and returned to normal programming at approximately 4:15. No students or staff were impacted and no school property was affected,” Garcia said in his email. “Longfellow takes student safety very seriously and will be using this as an opportunity to review other after school protocols.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.