How to rid your home of spiders, flies and other pests

mosquito_frank-hadley-collins_creativecommons-copy
Frank Hadley-Collins/Creative Commons

It’s the beginning of the school year, and many of us are moving into our new apartments and dorms. After a long vacancy in these rooms, there’s bound to be quite a plethora of creepy-crawly insects everywhere. That’s why we at the Clog are going to share some tips and tricks for getting rid of those pesky intruders.

Mosquitoes

These little pests are tiny, fast and merciless. They’ll suck up your precious blood like nobody’s business, which is why it’s imperative that you kill off these house intruders immediately. When you see one, follow the flying pest closely with your eyes for a few minutes. Establish and cement the mosquito’s flying pattern in your eyes. Before long, you’ll be able to predict its pattern of flight. Once you reach that state, simply wait until the mosquito nears a hard flat surface (such as a wall), and smash the mosquito to the hard surface with your palm!

Flies

These buggers are larger than mosquitoes, which make them slightly easier to kill. Even though they don’t suck your blood, they’re incredibly annoying. They’ll infiltrate your food, make horrible buzzing sounds near your ears and fly around in your house like a little black drone. Simply lay out some spoiled leftovers, wait for the flies to be attracted to the food and smash them with a fly swatter. You may opt to reuse the same leftovers a few times to trap as many flies as possible.

Silver fish

These long and silvery bugs are often found in bathrooms, laundry rooms and kitchens. They may look small and fast, but they’re not that hard to get rid of. We’ve noticed that these bugs like to run in a relatively straight line, so simply take a tissue box and swiftly smash the location of the bug. The length and width of the tissue box should be just enough to account for any last-second attempts of the silverfish to escape.

Spiders

These long-legged creatures can be quite daunting to many. However, for your living space to be bug-free, it’s necessary to learn to conquer any fears or hesitations you may have. There are different techniques for different-sized spiders. For small spiders less than a centimeter long, simply use a tissue to press down in the general area of the spider. More often than not, you’ll find that you’ve successfully rid yourself of the pest. For large spiders, simply employ the tissue-box method used for silverfish.

Hopefully, these tips and tricks will help you face pesky intruders in your dorm or apartment. It may be daunting at first, but remember, the success rate for your extermination efforts will definitely increase over time as you refine your pest control skills.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].