Berkeley police investigates road rage incident involving gun near campus

crime_danielkim_file-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department is investigating a road rage incident involving a gun that occurred in the area of Durant Avenue.

According to BPD spokesperson Office Jennifer Coats, a victim reported that she observed an unidentified suspect driving erratically in a burgundy Pontiac about 12:49 p.m. The victim and the suspect got into a “verbal altercation” as they were driving parallel to one another on Oxford Street. At the intersection of Fulton Street and Durant Avenue, the suspect pulled his vehicle up next to the victim’s.

“The suspect displayed (a) handgun and (pointed) it at the victim,” Coats alleged in an email. “The suspect fled eastbound on Durant Avenue.”

Coats said in her email that officers conducted an area check and were unable to locate the suspect vehicle.

According to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich, BPD asked UCPD for assistance in responding to the call.

“(We did) an area search for the involved parties and the suspect,” Reich said. “As I understand, both BPD and UCPD searched the area but were unable to locate the suspect.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.