The best podcasts to listen to during your walk to class

playlist
Doug/Creative Commons

If you’re looking to gain even more from your early morning walk to class, why not listen to a podcast? These handy episodes turn even the longest walk into a chance to learn something new. If you’ve never listened to a podcast, or just want some recommendations, check out the Clog’s list of the best podcasts to listen to while you walk.

99% Invisible”

“99% Invisible” has a little bit of everything — science, design, architecture, history, technology, you name it! The podcast’s website breaks down the categories far better than we could, and with over 200 episodes, you’ll have something to listen to no matter how long your walk is.

“Serial”

If you haven’t listened to “Serial” yet, what are you even doing? Seriously. “Serial” is a podcast that dedicates each season to exploring and telling a true story. Season one focuses on the 1999 murder of high-school senior Hae Min Lee. The podcast delves into the investigation of her death and the eventual conviction of her then-boyfriend, Adnan Syed. Season 2 explores the story of Bowe Bergdahl, a private in the U.S. Army who was captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan — or so we are lead to believe.

“Revisionist History”

Author Malcolm Gladwell aims to uncover “things overlooked or forgotten” in “Revisionist History.” Topics range from episode to episode, including McDonald’s French fries, country clubs in Los Angeles, why country music is so sad and the implications of dining hall food on college campuses.

“Planet Money”

Think economics is magic? Don’t know the difference between an IRA and the IRS? Don’t really understand the stock market? Then you should put your headphones on for “Planet Money,” a podcast dedicated to business, economics and explanations of why the market is the way it is.

“Rookie”

Named after the website that made founder Tavi Gevinson famous, “Rookie” features conversations with singers, authors and celebrities, often about being a young female creative. Stick around for the “Ask a Grown” segment, which features the advice and wisdom of real, actual grown-ups.

The “Pod Save the...” Series

Crooked Media, the company behind the “Pod Save the…” series, puts out new episodes every week of three major podcasts: “Pod Save the World,” “Pod Save the People,” and “Pod Save America.” Each takes on a different facet of politics and life — “Pod Save the World” discusses global events and international relations, “Pod Save the People” tackles issues of social justice and “Pod Save America” focuses on American politics. All of these issues are approached with a liberal slant.

“Welcome to Night Vale”

“Welcome to Night Vale” is a spooky fictional podcast presented as a radio show that brings the listener into the world of the surreal. The podcast is often frightening, depicting chilling events that occur in a town called Night Vale. Come for the disconcerting horror, but stay for “The Weather,” a portion of each broadcast which is dedicated to a new and interesting song.

“Who? Weekly”

Does the magazine stand at the supermarket make you say, “Who?” rather than “Ooh?” If so, “Who? Weekly” could be your saving grace. Each week, the hosts discuss the “who’s” of Hollywood, including C-listers, reality TV stars and even that one musician whose name you just can’t remember.

Turn on, tune in and learn a little before you even start lecture! Happy listening, Bears.

Contact Jamie Campbell at [email protected].