Recipe: Delicious roasted veggies with sausage

veggies_anissanishioka_staff
Anissa Nishioka/Staff

One lesson I’ve learned while in school is how much of a hassle it can be to cook in the little free time that we have. But, something else I’ve learned is that by meal-prepping, you actually have a reason to go to the grocery store, where you will surely buy loads more than you had expected, and voila! You’ll be set for entire weeks at a time. This helps by promoting healthier eating habits, cost efficiency and time efficiency, as you won’t have to cook for several days after making such a large meal. Get ready to come back from class with pre-prepped food ready after 90 seconds in the microwave.

Ingredients

Makes 4 servings

5 oz sausage of choice (I made mine with chicken sausage)

2 cups red potato

1½ cups bell peppers

1 cup broccoli

½ tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried parsley

1 tsp paprika

¼ tsp pepper

¼ tsp red pepper flakes

¼ tsp salt

6 tbsp olive oil

Directions

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven heats, cook your sausage (if raw) on the stove with just a bit of olive oil until it has browned and has cooked nearly to the center. Turn the heat off the pan and let the sausage remain warm in the pan.

Cut your bell peppers into the size of your choice, but don’t make them thicker than half an inch. If you have a big red potato, cut the potato into cubes of half an inch, but if you have baby red potatoes, halve the potatoes. Toss the potatoes, bell peppers and broccoli with the olive oil and spread them out onto an oiled or lined baking sheet.

Then, take the garlic powder, dried parsley, paprika, pepper, red pepper flakes and salt, and mix them together in a bowl. Make sure to mix your seasoning thoroughly, or parts of your veggies and meat can end up spicier or saltier than others. After you have mixed thoroughly, evenly season the veggies on your baking sheet.

Add your sausage to your seasoned veggies, and give them a nice stir with a wooden spoon. By this time, your oven should be fully heated and ready to go. Pop your baking sheet into the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pull out your roasted veggies and sausage and give them another nice stir to ensure even baking. Stick your veggies and sausage back into the oven for a final 10-15 minutes.

If you plan on meal prepping, I recommend eating your roasted veggies and sausage with some brown rice or quinoa. If eaten with a type of grain on the side, this dish should last about four meals, and it’s absolutely delicious. Enjoy!

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].