Recipe: Sweet potato rounds with goat cheese

potato_anissanishioka_staff
Anissa Nishioka/Staff

Feelin’ fancy? Maybe even festive? Give this sweet potato recipe a chance! I admit, it might be a bit impractical for an everyday snack, but the ingredients are surprisingly common and simple. This recipe is perfect for impressing your family during the holidays, or hosting a delicious get-together with friends on the weekend. Of course, there is always my personal favorite reason for cooking: cooking to treat yo’ self.

Ingredients:

½ cup dried cranberries

1 tsp fresh rosemary

Salt and pepper to taste

2 tsp olive oil

¼ cup crushed pecans

4 oz goat cheese

2 tbsp almond milk

1 large sweet potato

Honey to taste

Directions:

First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. While your oven is heating up, clean and scrub your sweet potatoes. There’s no need to peel them, unless you wish to. Then, cut your sweet potato into rounds about ¼ of an inch thick. Drizzle the olive oil over the sweet potatoes and add your salt and pepper to taste. Mix your sweet potato rounds in a bowl and set them on a lined or greased baking tray or casserole dish.

Finely chop your fresh rosemary and mix with your goat cheese, almond milk and pecans. Thoroughly mix these ingredients until they become very creamy and light. You can do this by using a fork, or a hand mixer to give you a fluffier topping.

Spoon this mixture on top of each sweet potato round and, once the oven is done preheating, stick in the oven for 15-20 minutes. After your sweet potatoes are nice and tender, pull them out of the oven to cool. Top with the dried cranberries and drizzle on some honey to taste.

This dish tastes best at room temperature, so don’t dig in quite yet! Let it sit and cool for a couple minutes — yes, I know waiting for food is an ultimate test of patience. After about 10 minutes, bon appétit!  

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].