3 consecutive gunpoint robberies hit South Berkeley on Wednesday

crime_danielkim_file-698x450
Daniel Kim/File

In the span of about 10 minutes Wednesday afternoon, three separate victims were robbed at gunpoint in the South Berkeley area.

At approximately 2:59 p.m. the first victim was approached by two suspects — one of whom was displaying a gun — at a bus stop on College Avenue just north of Parker Street. According to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Jennifer Coats, the suspects exited a black vehicle, made way to the victim, stole the victim’s laptop and backpack, returned to the vehicle and fled north on College Avenue.

About one minute later, on Blake and Ellsworth streets, another victim was approached by a suspect also using a gun. The suspect demanded the victim’s phone at gunpoint then fled the area in a newer black vehicle, according to Coats.

Just 10 minutes later, at approximately 3:10 p.m., the last victim in the string of robberies was held up by a suspect pointing a gun at the victim near Ashby Avenue and Adeline Street. Exiting a red vehicle this time, the suspect jumped out of the passenger side of the vehicle and took the victim’s cell phone before getting back into the vehicle.

None of the victims were physically injured during the incidents.

Coats said BPD does not know whether any of the robberies are connected. BPD is still investigating the matter.

Check back for updates.

Audrey McNamara is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @McNamaraAud.

• thompson_richard

Did you have to say that the vehicle was black?

• Andre Donner

Did they release descriptions of the assailants?

• lspanker

Of course not, and feel free to come to your own conclusions.