UC Berkeley to set a perimeter around 6 buildings for Ben Shapiro’s event

zellerbach_rgarner_file
Rachael Garner/File

UC Berkeley administration released a list Thursday detailing all security measures being arranged for conservative speaker Ben Shapiro’s scheduled event Sept. 14, including a police perimeter spanning six buildings.

Starting at 4 p.m., UCPD will create a closed perimeter around Zellerbach Hall, where Shapiro will speak, as well as Cesar Chavez Student Center, the Alumni House, MLK Jr Student Union, Sproul Hall and Eshleman Hall, according to a campuswide email sent by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Paul Alivisatos. At 5:30 p.m., only those with a ticket for Shapiro’s event will be allowed through the perimeter, and event attendees will be required to present a photo ID in person to get their tickets.

Parking garages near Zellerbach, including Barrow Lane Parking, Peppertree Lane Parking, the North Sproul lot and the ASUC garage will be closed the entire day. Alivisatos added that campus administration is in the process of setting up a system to match people who work in buildings blocked by the perimeter with alternative work spaces that day.

“Our commitment to the principles of community mandates that all students, faculty and staff be able to be present on campus, engaging in their regular academic activities without fear,” Alivisatos wrote in the email. “Achieving this poses unusual challenges for us.”

In addition to the building perimeter, there will be an “increased and highly visible police presence” on campus the day of Shapiro’s event, according to the email. No masks or weapons will be allowed into the venue, Alivisatos wrote, with a longer list of prohibited items to be released by UCPD prior to the event.

Shapiro’s event security arrangements will act as a sort of trial run for future campus event security, according to the email. Following the event, administration will assess the success of the security arrangements to help them plan arrangements for future campus events, including Milo Yiannopoulos’s scheduled speech.

“Some may wish to attend the event and hear the speaker to form their own views,” Alivisatos wrote in the email. “Some may wish to protest. All activities can be done peacefully and with respect. …  If events escalate around you, please strongly consider leaving.”

As part of the campus’s ongoing efforts to promote discussion, Alivisatos announced a series of Community Affirmation and Empowerment workshops and a Campus Climate Speaker Series, which will feature prominent cultural critics and activists from across the country.

Alivisatos also addressed recent criticism against campus administration for hosting controversial speakers, stating that many had called for “deep, incisive examination” of the campus’s values. In order to maintain campus values, Alivisatos wrote, the administration will be “encouraging more speech.”

Ashley Wong is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @wongalum.

• FreedomFan

“5 Things I Learned At Berkeley Last Night”
    by Ben Shapiro
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/21115/5-things-i-learned-berkeley-last-night-ben-shapiro

Thank you Berkeley Police for finally doing your jobs. Ben Shapiro is unharmed and ready to do battle again against leftist nazis.

• william tell

A conservative speaker on a college campus today is like a Jew trying to speak in 1930’s Germany. A good sign there might be trouble. If you see people with Black masks, dressed in Black carrying baseball bats, try not letting them in.

• dennis richardson

I am a fan of Ben Shapiro. He speaks well & will tear asinine leftist Rhetoric apart. No wonder they do not want him to speak on the Berkeley campus. Hopefully, George Soros will be secretly arrested soon & put away for no one to find him permanently. These Antifa guys are French revolutionaries in America. Arrest all Antifa members, remove their masks & identify them for future prosecution & incarceration. Then let them go for the present. They are just like the Klu Klux Klan that they protest against, they hide their faces from identification.

• Dey Jose

“No masks or weapons will be allowed into the venue” Reveal thy face

• Charlie Alvarez

Thank the filthy anarchist thugs of Antifa for making all these restrictions necessary. They have brought the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement to a shameful state with their violent shutdown of speeches like Milo and Coulter. Hateful Antifa bastards should be banned from the premises.

• FreedomFan

Everywhere we see Democrat antifa thugs wearing masks, beating people, and destroying property. We know intuitively that this is the same bigoted, jack-booted mob mentality that ushered in the Nazi reign of terror and the KKK violence.

See: “The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left” by Dinesh D’Souza

• smackem

It’s a bit early to draw conclusions, but it’s starting to appear that Cal’s new chancellor has more guts than her pusillanimous predecessor. Now, if the football team could only develop a pass defense . . .

• TheMonix

Dang Berkeley is making themselves look as safe as a certain town 700+ miles southwest of here.

• FreedomFan

Berkeley Finally Releases Shapiro Tickets — And They Sell Out In 45 Minutes!!!

Democrats are so dumb, they don’t realize that their fascistic reactionary mobs have strengthened Ben Shapiro’s reputation as a Conservative folk hero.

• Donna Lee Luiz

they sold out because now the “wet dream” comes true for the very small number of republican students, who at long last can finally be more relevant…go away

• FreedomFan

Retreat to your safe space, comrade.

• BluMeany

If you consider Ben Shapiro a ‘controversial speaker’, then you are a part of the problem. A Jewish, conservative, Harvard-educated speaker, who is unabashedly anti-alt-right, unabashedly not a huge fan of Trump, unabashedly critical of both Republicans and Democrats. Is it the pro-life stance that is a physical threat to your well-being? His religious beliefs? What a ridiculous overreaction by everyone involved. I can understand some of this for someone like Milo, who is a self-described provocateur and has said plenty of controversial things. Fine. But Shapiro? Prager? Corrolla? Really?!!

• FreedomFan

UC Berkeley is offering counseling services to those upset by Ben Shapiro’s speech. Which is good because anyone upset by a mainstream Conservative like Shapiro has some serious psychological issues.

• BluMeany

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but if there were a speaker on campus whom I didn’t feel like I want to hear their message, I would just not go. And that would be that. No counseling needed, no protection. The fact that they are in a building with four walls and a roof and I am outside that building pretty much gives me all the ‘protection’ I need.

• FreedomFan

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but Ben Shapiro’s words are like nuclear weapons.
          -New Snowflake saying

• Virgo

I agree. What the media and the leftist authorities fear most is a well-mannered, articulate and informed dialogue, such that their mental grip on their “army” is loosened by the appearance of a normal, polite individual in command of his argument. Some audience members may actually learn something!

However, I am concerned that the Berkeley authorities will once again allow “space” for mayhem caused by anarchist rioters, and then let the TV news convey the impression that Shapiro, minister of Trumpean hate, inspired the confrontation.

Let’s hope I’m wrong and the authorities do their job and stop the violence before it gets started!

• Jeremy Donohue

If anyone is selling their tickets get in touch with me! Wasn’t able to snag any before they sold out.

• hoapres

I sure didn’t see much help in San Jose from the local police department when a Trump supporter got beaten up in front of a downtown hotel.

• FreedomFan

The extensive list of extreme measures the university feels it must enact just to ensure that violence does not break out from the social justice and Antifa crowd is yet more evidence of how severe the left’s war on free speech on campuses has become.
    -James Barrett
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/20809/berkeley-announces-extreme-security-measures-james-barrett

• Dan Black

We will see if the incompetent mayor orders law enforcement to stand down AGAIN. The mayor tends to favor things like rioters veto.
    A lot of good all this security would do with the very Mayor undermining the safety of the innocent.
    What an idiot boss.

• FreedomFan

The mayor is a member of the racist BAMN klan and an avid Antifa fan. That is the reason for all the lawlessness and violence. Anyone wearing a mask should be arrested immediately. That’s the law.

• Edmond Dante

How will antifa act?

• Tom_in_SFCA

Same way they always do. They only have the one trick.

• Charlie Alvarez

Antifa will respond with violence and hatred, like they always do.

• Tom_in_SFCA

I saw Ben Shapiro speak at Cal just a couple of years ago and none of these precautions were necessary. Leftists are the sorest sore losers in the history of losing.

• Steve Todd

Leftists?

• Tom_in_SFCA

Yes, leftists. The “Resistance.” The ones who have been trashing Cal, and Berkeley, and lots of other places ever since Election Day. Sore. Losers.

• FreedomFan

Ben Shapiro is the most terrifying person in the world to leftists:

He is an honorable, fearless, highly intelligent, articulate Conservative. He mercilessly exposes the Democrats’ lies with such alacrity and common sense that he has become a folk hero for those who value truth.

Shapiro is a religious Jewish person who is critical of Trump as well as the alt-left and alt-right. Leftists have no defense against such a powerful weapon, except administrative thuggery and street violence.

This is why leftists will try to destroy him by any means necessary, as Berkeley’s despicable behavior illustrates.

“In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
      -George Orwell

• Bill Zkakis

Ben Shapiro fans are the most embarrassing people in the world. Just read your post out loud to yourself. Do you even have the capacity to feel shame?

• roccolore

Racist blacks like you have no shame.

• FreedomFan

Do you have the capacity to articulate a coherent thought? Guess not.

• GrayCat

Please say exactly, truthfully, what is shameful about anything in that post.

Where’s any kind of shame for the mindless violence and hatred practiced by Antifa, BAMN, Black Bloc, “feminists,” and BLM?

Facts don’t care about feelings, and screaming hatred and using violence is not rational, socially just, nor an argument against anything or for anything. It’s just plain stupid, inhuman brutality no non-human would ever even dream of. It’s how the very evils of fascism and totalitarianism you imagine you are objecting to got their start, if you care to actually look at 20th century history!

Please do actually learn history, before it’s too late to. Because if you ignorantly help bring about a repeat, you won’t be among the privileged few to escape what will inevitably follow. Talk about “injustice”!

You might consider reading The Black Book of Communism, and also Alexandr Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago (it’s out of print, but you can find it online, free for download, in pdf form; it should also be in university library, although considering what the university has turned into, maybe not. And that should make you stop and think hard about what you’re into, too). These are factual experiences and records of what you think you’re fighting for. Please make an effort to gain factual knowledge of the world as it is, not as you are led to think it is and should be. Please.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

lol..this is how I know that you know nothing about politics and is a sheep. Too funny Mr. Dunning Kruger!

• Snippy

Hopefully this goes safely. Very expensive and inconvenient to others to close so many garages and buildings. Security is going to cost way more than they are charging. Huge distraction for students. Not a big surprise why these Cal Republicans aren’t too popular on campus.

• Killer Marmot

Not a big surprise why these Cal Republicans aren’t too popular on campus.

The Cal Republicans aren’t too popular on campus … because those on the far-left are so violent that the administration has to take extraordinary measures to keep Republicans safe when they bring in an invited speaker. That’s pretty much the definition of blaming the victim.

• FreedomFan

The security expense is necessary to protect Republicans from violent, fascist Democrats. So whose fault is that, genius?

• Shakira Graham

So Nazis/right wingers need a safe space. How ironic considering they mock people on the left about them.

• Amylase Falcon

Right-wingers mock efforts to frame as “unsafe” anything the leading edge of progressive activism doesn’t like. Everyone needs safety from physical assault.

• Bill Zkakis

Maybe ask right wingers to stop shooting up leftist protests and driving into crowds. But actually, lets just take baby steps and start by stopping from serially murdering homeless people like a right wing comment section troll got caught doing just yesterday.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the ones killing cops, shooting up nightclubs, attacking military bases, and murdering people celebrating Christmas.

• Concerned Berkeley Student

He is literally a practicing Jew.

• Shakira Graham

and? I said alt-right as well.

• FreedomFan

He’s neither, genius.

• roccolore

Alt-leftists like you are anti-Jewish

• Killer Marmot

In this case, it’s literally a safe space as the threat is literally violence.

That’s different than demanding a safe space from ideas that make one uncomfortable.

• Rollie

Most of the mocking from the right is aimed at liberal college students, an embarrassing amount of whom believe that they need spaces that are safe from words, images and ideas that will hurt their feelings. That is very different than advocating security at an event like the Shapiro appearance, which is likely to be attended by people who’ve repeatedly proven their willingness to censor and crack heads. In the first scenario the left only imagines a threat to human safety, and in the second scenario it practically promises one. See a pattern?

• Dey Jose

those blinded by hated are incapable of seeing.

• Tom_in_SFCA

Lying commie is lying.

• Steve Todd

Commie?
        You wouldn’t know a commie from a condom!

• Bill Zkakis

lying nazi is lying

• roccolore

You Democrats are the Nazis: Anti-Jewish, anti-Christian, pro-Islam, anti-military, anti-police.

• Tom_in_SFCA

There aren’t any Nazis.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the Nazis who hate free speech. Fascist Democrats like you are the ones who riot and loot to prevent free speech.
      You Democrats ARE fascists: Anti-Jewish, anti-Christians, pro-abortion, pro-Islam, anti-military, anti-police

• Shakira Graham

I’m not a Democrat.

• roccolore

You know, fascist Democrat, right wingers do not riot when your racist black friends advocate killing cops, when your Mexican supremacist buddies advocate reconquista, when your Muslim supremacist friends defend jihad and Sharia, when your Communist buddies attack the very capitalism that paid them $100,000 for a speech on how bad capitalism is.

Fascist Democrats like you hate free speech and you will riot and loot to prevent people from speaking.

• Steve Todd

Were you born this stupid, or have you worked at it?

• FreedomFan

Einstein here, thinks Jews are nazis.

• roccolore

Actually, you’re the stupid one who defends riots and looting to prevent people from speaking.

• Bill Zkakis

looting? do you just make your posts with racist madlibs?

• roccolore

It’s black supremacists like you who are the racists.

• FreedomFan

So all looters are black? Racist much, comrade?

• FreedomFan

People who dare have ideas which depart from leftist dogma, need physical protection from leftist VIOLENCE.

Leftists’ “safe spaces” are set up to protect leftists from such foreign IDEAS.

Even people with toy brains should be able to grasp that stark distinction. But perhaps not someone ignorant enough to believe that an Orthodox Jew like Shapiro is a “nazi”.

• Steve Todd

Actually, I don’t need protection from anybody; both left and right hate me, but I keep my powder dry, and my musket handy!

• FreedomFan

At least your pet snake still luvs u.

• Why would anybody hate you? I think you are awesome.

• Sandcat

You know Shapiro is Jewish, right? If you were half literate you would have read that in the article.

Easier and quicker to label your betters Nazis, isn’t it?

• Shakira Graham

That is why I said nazis/alt right. One or the other.

• FreedomFan

Yeah, wrong on both counts as anyone who has actually listened to him knows.

• roccolore

You are part of the alt-left, Nazicrat. You are anti-Jewish and anti-freedom.

• Sandcat

And you were wrong both times. He’s vehemently anti alt-right, and still isn’t a Nazi.

Try different terms to smear your betters next time.

• BluMeany

You’ll notice that the YAF and Shapiro asked for NONE OF THIS. They simply asked for a venue to have a speech. It is the actions of the left – particularly Antifa – that cause Universities and cities to HAVE to act like something horrendously violent is going to act out. And, if you didn’t notice, they actually ARE creating safe spaces for leftists to cry and try to ignore the evil that is Ben Shapiro. (Most normal people would just, you know, not go).

• Bill Zkakis

The president of the Berkeley college republicans has been photographed shaking hands with the leader of America’s largest white nationalist group on many occasions.

• roccolore

You support black supremacist BLM, praised by Obama.

• BluMeany

And Hillary Clinton has been photographed hugging and kissing former Klan leaders as well. What’s your point?

• FreedomFan

Your President Barry was BFFs with uber-racist “Reverend” Jeremiah Wright for 20 years, comrade.

• Why do right-wingers deliberately seek out UC Berkeley, the campus in the U.S. where they are LEAST WELCOME and where they are MOST LIKELY to have violent conflicts erupt, to give speeches? I don’t see left-wing speakers organizing to give speeches at Bob Jones University or Liberty University, maybe because the left doesn’t want violence but right-wingers do. The entire purpose of these speeches at UC Berkeley and all of this focus on UC Berkeley is to instigate violence, and the least welcoming college in the country for right-wingers was deliberately targeted because they KNEW it would lead to violence. If some far-left speaker like Noam Chomsky or Cornel West gave a speech at a place like Bob Jones University, believe me, that would also be liable to lead to violence too. But for some reason, far-left speakers actually care about their personal safety and don’t want to go to parts of the country where they would be unsafe, because all the gun-toting anti-government militias that show up at these things are right-wing.

• Rollie

What does YOUR idea of “welcome” have to do with it? Right-wing speakers are obviously welcomed by student Republicans, and since those students have rights equal to other students, it is only THEIR sense of welcome that matters, not yours nor anyone else’s. Do you really think that the sentiments of students whose politics you approve of, carriy more weight than those of student-Republicans?

“If some far-left speaker like Noam Chomsky or Cornel West gave a speech at a place like Bob Jones University, believe me, that would also be liable to lead to violence too.”

No, not bloody likely. Put aside for a moment the fact that you’re comparing a public university (Berkeley) with private institutions (Bob Jones and Liberty), whose free-speech obligations are different. Can you provide contemporary examples of left-wing speakers being dis-invited from public schools on the basis of being unwelcome? How about left-wing speakers being shut down by right-wing students, or physically attacked, or violence and vandalism occurring in the name of protest against a left-wing speaker?

And rather than say “…lead to violence,” why not speak in terms of who actually starts the violence? It is all too common that when say, antifa shows up and starts swinging clubs in “self-defense” against words, its apologists later claim that the words themselves “led to violence”, and are therefore to blame.

“But for some reason, far-left speakers actually care about their personal safety and don’t want to go to parts of the country where they would be unsafe.”

Your idea that speech should only occur where it is welcome advocates a type of heckler’s veto, where the perceived threat of violence by others effectively shuts down any speaker. Worse, it guarantees that ideas will be exchanged only where previous agreement is assured, rather than in the competitive marketplace of thought where all historical social progress has actually been schieved.

• SumatraSue

Bên Shapiro a Nazi? A right winger? You, my dear, have not read or listened to a single word Shapiro has uttered.
      You are a PERFECT EXAMPLE of the idiot left screeching about NAZIES.
      Back to kindergarten for you, little one.

• He’s not a right-winger? So I take it all of the stuff on his OWN BIO on his OWN WEBSITE about what a right-winger he is and how much he hates leftists and academia is all lies: http://www.dailywire.com/authors/ben-shapiro

You are clearly a dishonest person. And you are a right-winger too, you are screeching about the “idiot left” which shows you are right-wing. Of course right-wingers tend to be dishonest so this is not surprising.

• SumatraSue

It appears I should have used the term “alt-right” winger, which would have better reflected the mindset of the person I was responding to, sir.
          The poster called out Shapiro for being a right wing Nazi. Shapiro is a deeply principled conservative. He is most definitely NOT a fanatic, not a racist, and not a white supremacist.
          Shapiro deplores the state of academia which is profoundly left and alt-left leaning (they proudly state as much). Instructors rarely educate any more. They espouse a socialistic/Marxist ideology and constantly discourage any alternate viewpoint. This is a dangerous direction to follow for citizens of a constitutional republic.
          Shapiro is as far away from Nazism as any human being can be. For him to express his sincere beliefs is no more dangerous than for you to express yours. That’s my point.
          Are you dangerous? I think not. But who knows – I might be “dishonest” about that.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

He’s a sheep, dont’ worry. He can’t argue with any facts because they literally have zero on literally everything. I do not understand why they think they are right and smart on subjects that are not backed up with facts or common sense and constant need to revise history to match your agenda. The left is truly sad these days.

• Whatrdafax

Yay.

• Killer Marmot

Peaceful protesters must be allowed that right.

But violent, threatening, or destructive protesters, or anyone who tries to prevent Shapiro from speaking or others from hearing him, must be arrested and charged. If they are students of Berkeley they must be suspended. If they are employees they must be fired.

The rule of law is the only way Berkeley is going to find sanity, and to bring violent protesters back to reality.

• Raif Sevrance

Violent student protesters should be expelled

• hoapres

They are if they are conservatives. If they are liberals then they end up becoming professors.

• Raif Sevrance

Well since the professors are the ones getting people involved with antifa. Also, that the professors are part of antifa. Yeah, its pretty garbage. There was a guy expelled from campus for rough housing and goofing around with his gf. Someone reported him for abuse and he was expelled. She tried to tlel them that he wasnt and they said that she didn’t know what she was talking about and that she wasn’t allowed to go near him. Even though she said he didnt do anything. They told her she was trying to defend her abuser. They tried to get the courts to prosecute him but they said he was innocent. Yet UCLA or whatever cali school it was is still punishing the guy. Seriously wtf

• Charlie Alvarez

That was USC and the guy who was suspended and banned from USC campus was the football player who kicked the winning field goal for USC in the 2017 Rose Bowl game. Even legendary college athletes are not exempt from the insanity of leftist Political Correctness.

• Raif Sevrance

Thank you for stating the correct college, I couldn’t remember. You are correct but they are also punishing his gf, who was a tennis start there. It is really stupid that they put stuff in there heads and think that even if the so called victim said he did nothing wrong that they are right and she doesn’t know what she is talking about.

• FreedomFan

Obviously Democrats are dangerous. Are you proud?