Cal football running back Tre Watson ruled out for remainder of 2017 season due to injury

football_micahelwan_file
Michael Wan/File

Senior running back Tre Watson is now expected miss the rest of the season due to a lower body injury. In the first two games of this season, in which Cal defeated both North Carolina and Weber State, Watson recorded a total of 83 rushing yards and 31 receiving yards.

“It’s never easy, you feel for a guy like that who’s put so much time and effort into the program, and we’ll have his back,” Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said. “I really feel for him right now, and he’ll bounce back from this, but it’s never easy going through that.”

Watson sent a tweet after the announcement that stated, “Thank you so much all apart of Gods plan… now you guys have me for another season.” As a senior, he would be unable to return next season unless he plans to medically redshirt this season, a process by which an athlete who suffers a season ending injury within the first three games of a season will not have that season count against his college eligibility. Wilcox declined to comment when asked if surgery is in the plans for Watson.

In Watson’s absence, redshirt junior Patrick Laird gave a star performance against Weber State, recording almost 200 yards to stave off an upset.

“Everyone knows football is kind of a next guy up thing,” Laird said. “(Watson) has been super positive since I saw him after the game. … I know he’s going to bounce back.”

Andrew Wild is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @andrewwild17.