Campus community should support lawsuit against police misconduct during Occupy Cal protest

coloredited_police_kirawalker
Kira Walker/File

Editor’s note: A version of this op-ed was previously published on the Bay Any Means Necessary webiste and is printed here with permissions from the author.

As Chancellor Carol Christ allows controversial right-wing provocateurs on campus under the claims of “free speech,” it is important to recognize a vital case pending before the federal courts protecting the genuine free speech rights of protestors from both UC Berkeley and the city of Berkeley who allegedly experienced excessive force by the UC Police Department and Alameda County Sheriffs during the Occupy Movement in 2011. The case will be heard Sept. 13, and we invite all genuine supporters of student protesters’ free speech rights to show up.

On Wednesday, the plaintiffs — who participated in the nationwide Occupy Wall Street movement — will argue their right to take the UC Berkeley administration to trial for supervisory responsibility of police misconduct on Nov. 9, 2011. This case will set a standard for protections of free speech for student protesters standing up for public education, to defend Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, and all undocumented immigrant rights, and for civil rights on college campuses across the nation. In the context of the growing movement against President Donald Trump and the leadership role of college students at UC Berkeley and throughout the nation, victory in this case is vital to protect the continued growth of the movement on college campuses and against campus administrations that work to suppress protest through their police departments actions.

Almost six years ago, on Nov. 9, 2011, former UC Berkeley chancellor Robert Birgeneau allowed phalanxes of police from UCPD and the Alameda County Sheriffs to use force against students and community activists who were attempting to set up tents to peacefully express support for the burgeoning Occupy movement at UC Berkeley. We were fighting to defend public education, to oppose fee hikes, to make UC Berkeley a sanctuary campus, to restore affirmative action at UC Berkeley and increase Latinx, black and Native American student enrollment.

The shocking display of violence inflicted on peaceful protesters by the police was caught on video and went viral within hours. Thousands of students and community members in Berkeley and across the country mobilized, rallied and marched in solidarity.

Twenty-one people represented by United for Equality and Affirmative Action Legal Defense Fund sued UC Berkeley administrators and the police, and in January 2016 at the District Court, we won the right to put them on trial. But now, UC Berkeley administrators are trying to get themselves dismissed from the case through an appeal, despite thousands of pages of email evidence and hours of deposition testimony that show their alleged direct responsibility for and knowledge of the police violence. Administrators have filed an appeal to the 9th Court Federal Appeals Court to try to get out of the case that will be argued by both parties this Wednesday.

Picket and fill the federal courtroom Wednesday, Sept. 13 to demand that the UC Berkeley administration be held accountable for its alleged role in the brutalization of peaceful student and community protesters by campus police. We must ensure that this never happens again. We need to bring the movement into the courtroom so that the Appeals Court judges understand that they will be held accountable, too. The movement for public education, sanctuary and affirmative action will fight for real democracy and real freedom of speech that must be preserved in the face of police brutality.

This lawsuit is unique in that it places the university administrators who allegedly made the political decision to send armed police into a peaceful student protest on trial. It is our chance to put them on the witness stand and make them answer. It is our chance to strengthen the ability of student movements on college and university campuses everywhere to fight for and win democracy and equality. It is our chance to forge a turning point in history where student voices and leadership will help determine the future of the whole nation.

Yvette Felarca is the lead plaintiff of Felarca v. Birgeneau and a representative of the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant Rights and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary (BAMN).

• Drake.Morded

Yvette is a horrendous monster. She is a violent anarchist that has no respect for the rights of others. She incites and commits acts of violence against law abiding citizens she is a danger to a free and civil America and she should be locked away for life or PUT TO DEATH.

• Robin of Hood

And did the campus support anti first amendment and the fascist BAMN?

• Mark

Yvette felarca incited a riot in Sacramento that sent multiple people to the hospital. Violence is commonplace in leftist demonstrations. I don’t know the details about this case but after viewing hundreds of videos covering lawless leftist protesters and working security for events assaulted by leftist protesters I would say the police were probably justified in using force.

• Karmann Ghia

from now on when i think of Cal…. i will be reminded of the intolerant thugs and the bullying orchestrated by liberal elites pushing tolerance when they themselves have failed to be tolerant.

• FreedomFan

How does this bigoted little criminal still have a job teaching young minds? Sick.

• Bob

BAMN is a cult and Yvette is a lunatic. So I totally support her message.

• Man with Axe

I watched the video she links to. The violence, while not pleasant to watch, is no worse than what Felarca has perpetrated on innocent people herself. She should be ignored, as someone who wants protection of the law for herself but not for others.

• zzz

Wait, if someone is having a peaceful protest they shouldn’t be attacked.

What a moral disaster case our fearless leader is.

• Kaur Sandeep

Listening to Yvette, you would think that groups like BAMN are peaceful protesters targeted by the police. This woman is delusional.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Either delusional or dishonest or both.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

The shocking display of violence inflicted on a demonstrator by Yvette Felarca (and a few thugs whom she called over to kick the demonstrator when he was down) was also caught on video and went viral.

Felarca is the last person to be talking about non-violent demonstrations. She has never been non-violent.

• Rollie

Peaceful protesters stand their ground until the moment that police arrive and lawfully inform them that they have to leave, and then they leave. At their option, peaceful protesters may accept arrest rather than leave, at which point they stand up, put their hands behind their backs and cooperate with all instructions by police. No one gets hurt and the protesters get their day in court.

It is not a peaceful act to refuse cooperation of a lawful order, by tying oneself to a door or other object, balling up in a tent, by linking arms or going limp, because you have then left the police only one choice—that of removing you forcefully. You are then responsible for police putting their hands on you. Police are responsible for keeping that force within a reasonable limit.

The current court case should decide only whether the police used reasonable force or not, and not whether they were justified in using any force at all.

• Nunya Beeswax

Don’t be disingenuous, Yvette. You have no problem with brutalization when it’s something that happens to your ideological opponents.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

It’s so strange that she doesn’t notice this about her thoughts.

• lspanker

Well, what again would you expect from someone who has proven herself to be a narcissistic sociopath?