UC system to receive $1M from state to support undocumented students

undocumented_addyshih
Adrienne Shih/File

The University of California will receive $1 million in additional funding from the state to support its DREAM Loan Program for undocumented students.

In a press release issued Tuesday, the UC Office of the President announced an agreement between California Gov. Jerry Brown and the state legislature to provide additional funding for the program. According to the press release, the DREAM Loan Program helps many undocumented UC students protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, to finance their college education.

The DREAM Loan Program was first approved in September 2014 with the passing of Senate Bill 1210, but funding for the program was not immediately authorized. In April 2016, UCOP confirmed an initial $5 million in funding for the program, with equal contributions from the university and general state funds allocated to the university.

On Sept. 5, the Trump administration announced its intent to end DACA with a six-month rollout. Three days later, the university filed a federal lawsuit against the Trump administration for its decision to rescind the program.

“Young Dreamers make exceptional contributions to UC and to the nation,” UCOP said in its Tuesday press release. “They embody the American Dream and represent the best of our country.”

Harini Shyamsundar is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.