How to train a racist

Off the Beat

haruka-senju-sp17_online

“Where do white supremacists come from?”

Where do they come from? They come from our public education system, ya goofball!

Think back to elementary school, before you could even tie your shoes or properly sear a steak au poivre. What can you remember?

You’re wearing that oversized belt around your hat. You’re singing hymns about Christopher Columbus — about how he gave civilization to Native Americans and saved China from a wave of intergalactic aliens or whatever racist thing it was that they taught us back then. But hey, that’s public school!

After we graduate high school and go on to college or to work in the coal mines and/or business factories, we typically can look back at our high school experience and think, “Wow, I can’t believe I wasted 12 years of my life on that.” This is doubly true for people of color.

We spend 12+ years learning about how we owe every modern invention, from the ranked-choice voting system to the panini press, to white people. Then we read a single Wikipedia page and learn that white people are actually just that kid in the group project who doesn’t do any work but demands to be the presenter.

When our history is taught to us as propaganda about how great “our” European ancestors were, how they came up with all these great ideas and innovations on their own, with no help from anybody else, we are taught that American history is really just a continuation of European glory. And it makes us non-Europeans seem like outsiders who have infiltrated the country, merely watching from the sidelines as George Washington and his band of warriors bravely fight off the commies and poor people and democratically elected leaders of foreign countries.

If America were a family portrait hanging in the living room, then American history is all about learning the entire life story of one grandfather — how he came up with calculus while inexplicably discovering linear perspective and also saved a group of savages from themselves — and completely ignoring the other old bags in the picture. Of course you’d grow up thinking that grandfather was some sort of saint. You might even have his family crest tattooed on your chest, if you’re from a family that has a crest, or whatever.

And wouldn’t you also be a lot more forgiving toward him if you later found out that he had been charged with double murder, drunk driving, racketeering, smuggling and loitering (loitering!) when he was a teenager?

The problem with how we teach history — as propaganda, rather than as an honest admittance and reflection of some of our country’s past actions — is that it ceases to be a learning lesson, and it instead becomes an excuse for people in power to keep double murdering people. Yes, every country in the world views its national history through rose-colored lenses, but when America selectively justifies the unsavory portions of European and white history, it once again puts the emphasis on our country being a European extension.

Look at how we teach colonialism in our school. Look at how we are taught for years to justify the death, torture and exploitation of millions of people of color around the world. And maybe there was an “oops” here or there, but overall, those savages should be thanking us!

If people want to keep justifying or denying double murder, that’s one issue. But when their stupidity can impact the rest of us or lead us to World War III, we all have a vested interest in their proper understanding of history. Look at the way we learn about the intentional killings of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki as “necessary evils” to end a war, rather than as war crimes. Our history teaches us that we can be careless toward the lives of nonwhites. And now our president is being praised for threatening to nuke a small Asian nation again, because we cannot be honest that our grandpa was a double murderer.

When white supremacists pop up in the news for carrying out terrorist attacks in our country, white people collectively clutch their décolleté and gasp:

“Where do these people come from?”

They come from our public schools. They didn’t come up with these ideas on their own. They were taught it and indoctrinated by a system, and chances are, you were too.

And across the country, millions of kids are being taught it too.

Off the Beat columns are written by Daily Cal staff members until the fall semester’s regular opinion columnists have been selected.

• BlackConservative

Do you even know the history of slavery? Go study it! Some day watch a real academic talk about the black community and oppression rather than just listening to your GOVERNMENT employee teachers that want you to feel dependent on them. Is it not obvious! This article is just the most racists horrible article I’ve ever read. Has anyone visited the DailyCal office to actually see if these are real human beings or robots????

• BlackConservative

“They come from our public schools. They didn’t come up with these ideas on their own. They were taught it and indoctrinated by a system, and chances are, you were too.”
    Are you seriously writing this? Do you not see the irony? You are the one indocrinated by the public education system. The audacity of this article is astounding and shows his lack of knowledge. Haruka, you have no real respect for the black community and choose to not fight the real issues. 73% of blacks are raised without a father correlating directly to the welfare state since the 1960s. Why don’t you talk about that. You disgust me and should look in the mirror before you write this literal garbage.
    It’s almost like all of these young college students just learned about Columbus. This is not new news? Do you guys really think you know something others don’t? Your column is disgusting and you should be ashamed, but enjoy your liberal circle jerk confirming your group think.

• Karmann Ghia

why does DailyCal keep erasing my comment? …. thuggery runs deep and wide at Cal

• wandagb

The Daily Californian offers students a special opportunity to write for its “Off the Beat” opinion column. It was a shame to see it squandered on Haruka Senju’s crude and immature “How to train your racist.” I do agree with Senju on one point; public education teaches history poorly. Just look at the appalling result of that miseducation – Mr. Senju himself.

Senju reduces the entire history of the U.S. and the novel experiment in self governance to nothing but a corrupt white racist enterprise feeding off people of color. He conjures a Wikipedia page to confirm his own racist views: “white people are actually just that kid in the group project who doesn’t do any work but demands to be the presenter.”

It is hard to know where to begin to remedy Mr. Senju’s gaping ignorance, for example about Japan and WWII. Perhaps he might read a real wikipedia page – “Japanese war crimes” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Or just watch these 5 minute videos and maybe question what history you have been taught and go read history objectively if possible.

• ShadrachSmith

Where did the blm shooter in Dallas come from? Where does antifa come from? How do you get good people to put on masks and beat strangers in the street?

…just sayin’

• Man with Axe

The author’s own anti-white racism may or may not have been taught to him in high school, but it is clear that he has been marinating in it at Berkeley since he got there.

• Dude

Minorities can’t be racist no matter what they say or do. In america the only group that can be racists are white.

I am not sure why snowflakes defend that viewpoint so earnestly and vigorously but they do.

They say something like power….yada yada, marginalization, yada yada, dominant group yada yada, oppressed groups yada yada. I don’t really remember all the details.

Maybe a snowflake would be so kind as to educate me again as to why only white people can be racist in america but no one else can.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

They cant, they cant debate, they have not stats, they have no history, they have nothing but have convinced a bunch of young people to believe it with emotions. They don’t get that no one cares about them. NO one besides their friends and family. Most people don’t care what others do and are worried about themselves. I wish they would have some self reflection or at least debate a topic.

• Man with Axe

The author’s ironic tone masks the fact that pretty much all the achievements of modern civilization are the product of western, i.e., European, i.e., white people. Not all of them, just pretty much all of them. This fact doesn’t make white, European, western people better than anyone else. It’s just that this period of history was one of great achievement by the west, while previous eras were periods of great achievement for other groups. You can deny this history for the sake of your anti-white animus, but you would just be lying to yourself.

• Dude

Yeah. I find it amusing when they point to all the great accomplishments of other groups and seem to only come up with algebra, the concept of zero, and the bright idea of drilling holes in people’s skulls with stone tools to let the evil spirits out. Occasionally they brag about moving big stones.

• hannah

this is just untrue. read about the achievements of the chinese, the african continent, and the middle east.

• Man with Axe

What have they contributed in “this period of history,” the period to which I was referring? The history of China, Africa, and the Middle East for the last several centuries, during the rise of modernity, have very little to do with that rise. I’m not talking about 500 or 1,000 years ago. I’m talking about recent centuries. You’ll have to tell me what I’m forgetting about that was so important in Chinese, African, or Middle Eastern history that contributed to the rise of modernity.

• hannah

its also that the world only cares about the history of the european continent

• Man with Axe

Let me hear your abject apologies for the rape of Nanking and a thousand similar atrocities and maybe you will have the moral authority to even begin to criticize Americans for their historical misdeeds.

• satriale_1

This is exactly what I experienced in school. I didn’t learn that I was only being taught a one-sided view of history until late high school. I’d say that the public education system is more of an enabler than anything – though pretty much everything else you said is true.

• zzz

You liked your own post?

So you became a white supremacist in high school? What are you up to these days?

• satriale_1

No. I experieneed being a student of a white washed American history.

• lspanker

You care to deal with specifics, or do you just wish to keep babbling like an idiot?

• satriale_1

Let me refer you to my other comment, “I’m not going to write a large article about American history for you to read. You can try A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn.”

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Are you seriously recommending a conservative to read a history book written by a socialist. I have read this book and I have, and its misleading, has distorted facts, and written for those who lean to the left. Zinn pretty much gives you a distorted socialist history lesson. I’m surprised you actually think that that book teaches american history. It teaches American history to match your viewpoint. If you disagree, then tell me something that he states correctly that the right often gets wrong and I will tell you why he is misleading you?

• lspanker

In other words, as I suspected, no specifics.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

He is a socialist who doesn’t even use good facts. I dare you to watch these 2 videos and dispute the FACTS in it:

They are 5 minutes a piece and obviously biased but I guarantee you will not argue against one single point with any facts, maybe emotions or distorted facts that I will refute. Try me?!

• zzz

Now you experience self loathing.

• zzz

“Look at the way we learn about the
    intentional killings of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki as “necessary evils” to end a war, rather than as
    war crimes.”

Who bombed Pearl Harbor? What country had this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword

Curtis Lemay was killing people at amazing rate without a-bombs, the whole a-bomb thing is just sad whining.

If not for the A-bombs Japan would have fought it out longer with far more dead… On the Asian mainland at the hands of the Japanese.

The author thinks the rest of us are uninformed and brainwashed.

• satriale_1

more whataboutism

• lspanker

More of your demonstrable inability to actually deal with the subject at hand.

• satriale_1

I’m not going to write a large article about American history for you to read. You can try A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

• lspanker

Evasion noted. You make accusations but you’re too much of a coward to even back them up.

• Jack Spencer

Your ancestors up until the 1940’s beheaded people with Samurai swords. Care to go on with your revolting accusations young and innocent?

• satriale_1

more whataboutism

• Jacob

If you’re a student or a parent of a Berkeley student, and said student is not majoring in a STEM field, you are truly better off just taking your money and burning it in a campfire. That few minutes of heat will be far more meaningful.

• BlackConservative

I would buy scratchers :)

• FreedomFan

I haven’t seen any “white supremacists” at Berkeley. But rather it seems to be infested with bigoted “people-of-color” like this author and their fellow Democrat whitey-haters.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Man, he has a distorted view of history… Can whites only be racists? Your logic is so bad. CAN WE PLEASE DEBATE to show how stupid you are?

• Dude

It is a belief held with religious intensity that no matter what people of color say or do they cannot be racist in america. Only white people in america can be racist.

I am hoping a snowflake will help clarify that point with me again :)

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

It’s weird that everyone wants to call everyone racists when the majority of people aren’t and no one can actually point to systemic racism. The Cal Daily just wrote an article stating “systemic” in their title, and they didn’t even point to the systemic racism but just an instance. It’s almost like they want to change words, change history and change stats to match their viewpoint. I’m just amazed that they don’t realize how indoctrinated they are, but I guess that is part of indoctrination.

• Marcus Welby

It is very difficult to change your view of how the world works once it is engrained. Those who believe in dog whistles and systemic racism will see it everywhere even in ambiguous situations. Those who believe the Russians are diabolical and bent on destruction of the free world will see it everywhere too. The mind fills in the data gaps and interprets ambiguity in a way consistent with one’s pre existing biases or world view.

In my case my assumption was that federal surveillance agencies were full of sociopaths who don’t give a dam about the citizens or the law but only their own personal power. Maybe that was true in the 50’s thru 70’s but my worldview doesn’t seem to be a useful way to interpret ambiguous data in the 21st century. It is annoying when they follow you around so closely you can’t get away with anything and they even likely know when you are tapping though lol

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

He’s senior staff and doesn’t even know how stupid his article is.

I would like to debate you on every single thing you wrote in this article. It’s just so biased, naive, nonfactual, subjective and stupid.

• FreedomFan

Being a racist is cool, as long as you hate white people. Isn’t this the way it works? Democrats didn’t seem to concerned that the entire Obama family were huge fans of the uber-bigot Jeremiah Wright for 20 years.

• satriale_1

You missed the entire point of the article and accused him of being a racist without making a logical argument. Embarrassing.

• Man with Axe

The logical argument is that his article is dripping with disdain for white people, something that if you tried it with black people would get you fired from the Daily Cal.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Lol, you think the system is so powerful because you were indoctrinated by it. Studies show that most people who are ACTUALLY racists and claim to be, are racists because of their family situation and has little to do with any indoctrination other than from their parents. Most Americans are not racists besides the MSM desire to make it that way.

Who taught you this way anyways? Are you literally this dense? The irony is so huge, you are mixing up the indoctrination.

• satriale_1

You missed the point. The article is trying to explain that the American education system primes individuals for racism. So when they are exposed to racist thinking they are receptive. I don’t think the article makes a claim that this is done on purpose, likely it is a byproduct of a country writing its own history.

• lspanker

You missed the point. The article is trying to explain that the American education system primes individuals for racism.

Which is utter BS, and clearly indicative that you know NOTHING about how such issues are handled in Japan, where the school system engages in a massive whitewashing of what the Japanese did in WWII.

• Nunya Beeswax

Truth. Unit 731 and the rape of Nanking are conspicuous in their absence from the Japanese curriculum.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Wait so now we blame the hero teachers for this invisible systemic racism. When will you guys grow up a little.

• kennebec123

Well, it’s Berserkley, so it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that an ignorant, racist child is allowed to write for the kiddie newspaper.

• DonHonda
  • lspanker

For once, it would be nice if people like this misguided young man criticized people for what they actually SAY and DO rather than make silly projections based on his own resentment and ignorance – but hey, that’s collegiate journalism!

• Nunya Beeswax

I was in elementary school from about 1969 to 1975, and I don’t remember ever singing hymns about Christopher Columbus. Anecdotal, I know.

That said, I’m all for teaching history as it really was. Students should learn that Columbus was responsible for some appalling things. There’s a dark side to nearly every cherished American myth, and the teaching of American history should never become cheerleading or indoctrination.

I am just a little amused that a person of Japanese descent is presuming to lecture Americans about racism; however bad he thinks he has it here, it’s not nearly as bad as Koreans, Chinese, Taiwanese or Ainu have it in Japan.

• Bob Bell

BS. No person of color, or society of color, could possibly be racist because … just because. Everything is the white man’s fault. So there! Hope everyone enjoyed my epic takedown of Nunya.

• satriale_1

half-assed straw man

• lspanker

I see that once again you had nothing of substance to add to the discussion.

• Bob Bell

I know you are, but what am I?

• Bob

This. The Japanese are overtly racist AF. In larger Japanese cities you’ll occasionally see signs like “Japanese Only” or “No Whites” in the front windows of shops and small businesses. Also, it seems hypocritical that the author mentions the “war crimes” of Hiroshima and Nagasaki committed by Americans but omits war crimes committed by the Japanese such as The Bataan Death March and The Nanking Massacre (a/k/a The Rape of Nanking). Wouldn’t these omissions amount to training Japanese racists? Not that they need any more training.

• FreedomFan

Yes, the author’s Japanese ancestors murdered an order of magnitude more innocent Chinese civilians than the a-bombs he laments.

• satriale_1

more whataboutism

• zzz

Ending Japanese mass murder is bad, thats an interesting take on things.

• satriale_1

Nobody said that.

• zzz

You did.

• satriale_1

No. Try thinking harder next time you read.

• lspanker

You display the argumentation techniques of a 14-year-old…

• satriale_1

You should know that the whataboutism you’re engaging in is a logical fallacy.

• Man with Axe

Whataboutism is a perfectly legitimate way to point out hypocrisy. You criticize my group for things that you are perfectly content for your group to do.

• satriale_1

It’s not a legitimate way to argue against the main point.

• Nunya Beeswax

It wasn’t an argument against the main point. I conceded that he had a point about how white supremacism is imbibed through the educational system, but qualified it by pointing out that his rhetoric was excessive and inaccurate.

The dig at Japanese racism wasn’t meant to prove anything, other than how self-blind we can be when pointing fingers at others. Not so much a tu quoque, more a suggestion that he remove the beam in his own eye before pointing out the mote in someone else’s.

• Man with Axe

There is an old expression about teaching history, warts and all. These days they just teach the warts and call it “history.”

• zzz

I knew plenty of actual racists in the 80’s, none of them got it from public schools, they got it from their parents, a need to belong, wanting to be cutting edge or other such, the same place SJW’s get their comical framework.

David Horowitz in the 60s bemoaned public schools in the fashion our author does, by the 90’s he was bemoaning public schools because they produced pity people like our author, and his 60’s self. The nature of true believers around this issue seems to be to blame the system for people not agreeing with your opinions as fact. A few hours of putting up with AM radio whiners one will hear all about schools producing American progressives with no real opinions of their own, just as our valiant author does. Always blame public education for the world not being as smart as your opinions as fact.

Somehow the author transcended his education and became a SJW, I would be more interested in the path of how he went from a self pity high school students loathing his own race to an empowered college SJW. Would a pizza party help to gain this information?