‘Failure to confirm’: Berkeley Patriot loses Zellerbach, Wheeler auditoriums for ‘Free Speech Week’

miloyann_official-leweb-photos_cc
Official Leweb Photos/Creative Commons

Campus conservative student publication the Berkeley Patriot has failed to provide sufficient payments for the use of Zellerbach and Wheeler halls to host “Free Speech Week” at UC Berkeley.

The Berkeley Patriot missed three separate deadlines to confirm the two venues, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof. Mogulof said in an email that the campus gave the Berkeley Patriot the original contracts to use Wheeler and Zellerbach halls Aug. 11, with a deadline of signing them and paying fees by Aug. 18. The Berkeley Patriot missed that deadline, Mogulof said in his email.

The campus extended the publication’s deadline to Aug. 25, which was also missed, Mogulof said in his email. On Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., the campus informed the Berkeley Patriot that its final deadline to sign the venue contracts was Friday at 5 p.m. Although the organization was able to sign the contracts in time, it was unable to secure the necessary payments.

The Berkeley Patriot news editor Pranav Jandhyala alleged that the publication was given “less than a couple hours” to pull the paperwork together.

“We’ve done everything that they’ve asked. We’ve done it as quick as we humanly possibly could,” Jandhyala said. “It’s a big logistical nightmare.”

Mike Wright, the president of the Berkeley Patriot, could not be reached for comment as of press time.

The lineup of speakers for Free Speech Week was first announced Thursday by Milo Yiannopoulos’ press team. After the release of the lineup, several of the scheduled speakers said they had no plans to come to UC Berkeley for the four-day-long event.

“The University cannot defend spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide security arrangements for events based on a press release and inconsistent schedules,” Mogulof said in his email.

According to Mogulof, the Berkeley College Republicans was able to successfully and safely host Ben Shapiro on campus Thursday because the organization followed the necessary campus protocols — protocols which, Mogulof added, the Berkeley Patriot has failed to follow.

The Berkeley Patriot was also required to submit forms to make security arrangements with UCPD, but it also failed to submit them, according to Mogulof. Now the Berkeley Patriot has several unconfirmed speakers and no confirmed venues to hold them in.

“This failure to confirm … has led the campus to question whether Berkeley Patriot actually intends to, and/or is able to, carry out the proposed events,” Mogulof said in his email. “The campus has shown flexibility … in working with a small group that appears to be struggling to fulfill responsibilities it accepted as a result of the decisions it made.”

The campus will require the Berkeley Patriot to confirm the details of its 10 remaining proposed events in the coming days, according to Mogulof.

Mogulof said in his email that the campus “cannot allow this student organization to disregard policy” or offer “special treatment.” He added, however, that the Berkeley Patriot may still continue planning its Free Speech Week if it is able to confirm speakers and schedules and comply with the campus’s security requirements.

“We’re still going to have Free Speech Week at this point,” Jandhyala said. “We haven’t canceled anything.”

Contact Chantelle Lee, Harini Shyamsundar, Ashley Wong, Audrey McNamara and Malini Ramaiyer at [email protected].

• John H. Gleason

The administration sets lots of hoops to jump through (at least for some organizations).

• Cybille Larry

Google Emini S&P Trading Secret and figure out how to trade and after that move to South East Asia and carry on with a life that you never envisioned you could live. That is the thing that I am doing now and extremely cheerful as opposed to being in fear all the time and pushed.

• Greg Waters

The market has spoken.

• ShadrachSmith

The administration is weaseling ways to shut down free speech week, or anything else they don’t like. Administrators do that.

• cbale2000

Milo / Berkeley Patriot response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5Xgak1zzA

• s randall

Trump made a big deal about the KKK and equivalents in Virginia having permits, so permits and authorization mean something to Trump. What happens if Milo and his friends decide to just show up and try to have an event on campus? I think that would be an unpermitted, unauthorized event wouldn’t it? There should be no guarantees for people that just want to show up, when just showing up can create havoc and can endanger the public.

These people had plenty of opportunity to take advantage of the Administration’s offer of venues for their lineup. UC can’t be expected to spend literally millions of bucks without some assurance that there will actually be some sort of event.

• y_p_w

That isn’t specifically illegal. They recommend a permit for a rally, but speaking outdoors on campus without amplification may not require a permit. Remember when Coulter said that she was going to show up and didn’t? That didn’t stop UCPD from spending money on overtime preparing for a rally that never happened.

And definitely Joey Bishop didn’t have a permit to go around places in San Francisco after he cancelled his Crissy Field appearance. Nor the marchers in Charlottesville with tiki torches yelling Nazi slogans and “Jews will not replace us” in front of churches.

• s randall

Coulter announcing and showing up for speech on the steps of Sproul would be sure to cause a riot. Putting law enforcement in a position to have to deal with events like that is exactly like having to deal with bomb threats. Except that bomb threats are considered a criminal offense.

• FreedomFan

Ben Shapiro’s Zellerbach tickets were sold out in 45 minutes. Thousands were turned away. There was an enormous line to buy tickets, but they were denied, despite many tickets being available due to Democrats’ antifa pals playing games–buying tickets and not attending.

Berkeley took away half of Zellerback by roping off…the entire balcony. Supposedly they were afraid antifa would rip out chairs and throw them on the people below.

Ben Shapiro had about unique 100,000 viewers in real-time and hundreds of thousands more watched after the event on-line. Over a million will eventually see his speech.

So congratulations to the violent, bigoted leftists, you have helped make Ben Shapiro a Super Star.

As for Milo and his fellow nambla and alt-right pals, who cares?

• y_p_w

What do you mean “buying”? They were free.

• CSears

Shapiro tickets were free:

https://events.berkeley.edu/?event_ID=111345&date=2017-09-14&tab=all_events

They ‘sold’ out but then not many people bothered to show up.
      So there was even a standby line which both YAF and Berkeley Events advertised
      which was also free.
      And yet still there were empty seats even though the administration closed the balconies.
      Berkeleyside said 600-700 people.

Congratulations you bored, lazy fascists. Shapiro remains a nobody. You can read his nonsense here:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21144/complete-transcript-ben-takes-berkeley-daily-wire

• FreedomFan

Nobody waiting in the long standby line got tickets, comrade. Your cowardly Berkeley officials saw to that.

Shapiro made you Dims and your violent antifa pals look like fools.

Your psychotic leftist histrionics made Ben Shapiro into an even bigger Super Star.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

He can’t comprehend anything that makes sense in the real world. We must distort it! It was obvious that very few of the protesters even knew anything about Ben Shapiro. I’m so surprised the Left can never see anything wrong with them.

• roccolore

You Democrats are the fascists. You are anti-Jewish, anti-Christian, pro-abortion, pro-Islam, anti-military, anti-police.

• CSears

Yawn.

• roccolore

Another Democrat who can dish it out but not take it. No surprise.

• CSears

You haven’t said anything worth responding to. It’s not clear if you can.
            Or to quote someone (Hitchens) whose erudition will be lost on you:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

You’re dismissed.

• powerbus

None of which are encompassed by the definition of fascist.

• roccolore

What do you call those who protested Shapiro solely because he is Jewish?

• Seth Martin

Little to none.

• sorrykb1

TIL that fascists are anti-police.

• paxman

“Conservatives”? More like lying weasels playing games pretending they’re still 12 olds pitting moms against dads. These pathetic whiners need to grow up and get jobs and stop being nasty little moochers.

• zzz

Then why do you feel the need to riot when they speak?

• paxman

LoL. There was no riot. And I didn’t bother to even show up there. Your sad little pity party was a bore. Go back to sleep, obviously thinking tires you. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Pttttt!

• zzz

I’m not a fan of the Shapiro crowd, why do you feel that rioting to silence them is OK? Please explain.

• CSears

Again, there was no riot and Shapiro, of whom you are no fan, said his piece, got paid, and left town. Not that many of your ilk could be bothered to show up to hear Shapiro compare liberals to Nazis (the America Nazi Party endorsed Trump).

• zzz

There wasn’t a riot because the city paid it seems 600,000 in cops.

All the other riots that you seem to have missed?

You post makes no sense, as I stated not a fan myself, your rioting sickens me.

• CSears

Dude, UC Berkeley isn’t the City of Berkeley.

Second, you can’t admit there was no riot in paragraph 1 and then complain about it in paragraph 3.

I’m glad you’re no fan of Shapiro. That’s very admirable of you.

• roccolore

Liberals ARE the Nazis. They tried to prevent Shapiro from speaking because he is Jewish.

• CSears
          • roccolore

Clintonites like you are the Nazis. Black Nazi BLM, Mexican Nazi La Raza, Muslim Nazi CAIR.

Fascist Democrats like you don’t seem to have a problem with Jew-haters, Communists, black supremacists, Mexican supremacists, and cop-haters on college campuses.

• CSears

I’m actually more Bernie than Hillary although I did vote for Hillary in the general.
            Can I at least get you to say you voted for Cheeto?

• roccolore

Yes, I voted Trump.

• CSears

See, that wasn’t so hard. I notice that not many conservatives ever use his name. Now, I voted for Obama and I’m very proud of that. He remains very popular in Silicon Valley. I disagreed with him about Afghanistan and I thought we should have exited on day 1 and most definitely after we got OBL. But I do admire him.

But Cheeto seems to be an embarrassment for conservatives. They never mention him. Why is that?

• Uhh, a burning trash can isn’t a riot. Shouting down bigots isn’t a riot.

But uhh, the stick guys showing up and beating bystanders… well, why do the alt-right always riot?

• zzz

Based Stickman is an idiot like your rioters. Your post makes no sense.

• roccolore

You fascist Democrats are the bigots who hate free speech.

• roccolore

Democrats like you are the liars who hate free speech.

• paxman

You’re not even trying to respond in an entertaining or intellectual fashion anymore. As your secret lover tweets: SAD!!

• zzz

Oh the irony.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the idiots who hate free speech.

• Snippy

I’ve read about these deadlines in the media for weeks and since Pranav Jandhyala went through similar issues last spring when he previously invited Coulter, the requirements shouldn’t be a surprise.

Wasn’t Milo recently bragging about some $12 million in backing for his projects? Surely he could write a check.

• disqus_hxdSajHS2B

Why would he pay himself to speak? It’s his Job.

• cbale2000

He did write a check, they had been waiting for a response from the University and by the time they responded on late Friday his bank on the East coast had already closed for the weekend. As of this morning the university has the money…

• powerbus

I’ve never heard of a case where a bank had to be open in order for a customer to write a check.

• cbale2000

It was an electronic wire transfer (which requires the bank to be open, my bank is exactly the same way). Milo wasn’t physically in Berkeley so it’s not like he could hand them an actual check.

• sorrykb1

Gods you people are gullible.

• cbale2000

Prove me wrong. Calling one gullible implies they will easily believe a lie. You have to first establish a lie has occurred, or, in absence of any evidence of a lie, show that the source of the statement has a historical tendency to lie, and is consequently not worthy of belief.

I have seen no evidence to suggest either, but am certainly open to seeing any evidence you can provide that suggests otherwise.

• sorrykb1

For lies associated with these events, you can start with the “speakers list”.
            If you care to go back further, you have pretty much Milo’s entire history.

• cbale2000

Which speakers list? The initial list leaked by the University that included unconfirmed speakers, the followup list released by the University after it claimed it wouldn’t allow two of the venues to be used (and consequently doesn’t include any of the speakers that would have been at those venues), or the official list on the event website? The event organizers have stated they plan to have their events even if they can’t get indoor venues, so where are the lies?

Care to try another specific example?

• sorrykb1

No, I think you’ve just proven my point about “gullible”.

• cbale2000

By not relying on information provided by 3rd parties who have demonstrated on multiple occasions they would like nothing more than to have the event not occur? I don’t think I’m the gullible one here.

• sorrykb1
          • cbale2000

Why did she retweet this yesterday then? https://i.imgur.com/2cBTWop.png
            You’re still relying on 3rd party sources that provide nothing more than “we said this happened”. In any case, we’ll find out next week.

• sorrykb1

So…..

• C Bierbauer78

Reads like a right wing setup. They never meant to comply, just to let their reservations lapse and complain about censorship of their “free speech”.

The whining wacko right wing has no morals at all.

• sorrykb1

Bingo.

• BillStewart2017

They don’t want to pay rent for resources they use, and they apparently aren’t getting funded the way they expected.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you have no morals. You hate free speech, hate Jews, hate Christians, hate our troops, hate cops, but love Islam.

• Greff CallCo

They’re making it too expensive for their students to hear alternative viewpoints. Gotta groom those Leftist voters and future Leftist politicians…with no challenge to the ideology.

• It’s ideological fascism.

• Greff CallCo

Yes.

• bralco

@roccolore:disqus That isn’t helpful at all, you are just generalizing wildly about a group. Very few people hate jews, cops, and troops and many don’t even know what Islam really is as a religion. Careful before you make such statements about a group that definitely are not true.

This is a financial issue, I support their right to free speech and I support people’s right to protest, but if the costs and security risks are too great for the university to handle, then the event shouldn’t happen. The school is in a budget crisis and this event has just put more strain on the school’s limited resources.

Let’s talk about the issue at hand instead of acting like a third grader and name calling. You are just making yourself look bad by saying democrats hate those groups because it isn’t true.

• roccolore

It’s funny how there are never any riots when Jew-haters, Communists, anti-military activists, cop-haters, Islamists, black supremacists, or Mexican supremacists speak on college campuses.

• paxman

someone ought to tell his mom she’s left her computer on and the eight-year-old is going crazy on it.

• Nonsense. The corporate media, tech companies, universities, and democrats colluded to CREATE antifa—to call for violence—precisely to stop free speech that they couldn’t legally stop. It’s their problem to solve.

• Tizzie Lish

Is this common a joke? There are no fascists Democrats. And what is your evidence that Dems hate Jews, hate Christians and hate everyone but Islam? Such evidence does not exist.

• roccolore

Because Democrats always protest against Jews and Christians, but never Islam.

• Well all know this is the fascist-left desperately trying to stop high IQers from talking—because their entire postmodernist post-reason house of anti-intellectual cards will come crashing down.

• powerbus

fascism
        noun
        1.
        (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Sounds like the “patriots” to me.

• Yawn, there are no human dictators in the US, the system is the fascism. And the definitions have all been rewritten by the system. Surprised you didn’t quote the new one where fascist can only be “right-wing”.

• cbale2000

Hard to comply when you constantly move the goal posts…

• Middling

I was thinking the same thing – Some of the highest scoring hs graduates can’t follow basic instructions? Yet, they will blame UC for putting up the roadblocks. Oh poor me, UC is picking on me.

I can hear the whine from here!

• Tizzie Lish

I agree with you, C. Bierbauer78. I think Milo & gang wanted to be outside where it will be harder for UC to provide security, harder to keep the violent separate from the nonviolent . . and easier for white supremacists in costumes that hide their identity to pose as Antifa.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

You mean the wackos that are costing so much money. There should be no protests. Its just speakers and not even that crazy of ones. Man, you guys need to grow up.

• the devil

Once again, this “free speech” costs HOW MUCH?

• C Bierbauer78

Freak Speech

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the freaks.

• paxman

and repetitive…. geeze … is cut and paste the best you’re capable of doing?

• Greg P.

Booking large venues for private interests costs money. This isn’t the athenian assembly.

• cbale2000

The problem isn’t the cost, the problem is they don’t charge Leftist speakers anywhere near as much. The supreme court has ruled that Publicly funded Universities charging different groups different fees based on the content of speech is a violation of the First Amendment.

• powerbus

Name a few Leftist speakers who were invited by other student organizations that were charged lesser fees, and cite your sources (not alt-right sites).

• cbale2000

Antifa doesn’t show up with weapons to leftist events, so they don’t require nearly as much security, and thus are not charged as much (still not legal). There are numerous legal cases that have highlighted this but I’m not going to spend the hours required sifting through them to find it for the sake of a comment section.

• paxman

speech is free, little devil clown… venues are expensive.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the clowns who hate free speech.

• paxman

Nahhnahnanhhha

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are cowards who can dish it out but not take it.

• paxman

you are soooo tiresome…

• CSears

Zellerbach was too large a venue even for the famous Ben Shapiro.
    Maybe they can book a group study room at Doe?

• C Bierbauer78

Crissy Field is supposed to be available!

• paxman

so are the sewers of Oakland… these rats would fit in nicely with the rest of the vermin

• roccolore

Democrats are the vermin who hate free speech.

• paxman

“Your Struggles”…the comic book version.

• roccolore

Typical fascist Democrat coward.

• C Bierbauer78

Right you are. Good idea!

• FreedomFan

The delusion strong it is with this one.

• disqus_hxdSajHS2B

Wasn’t too large. They siezed tickets and wouldn’t let them fill the top row. They had 5000 people who wanted to attend that couldn’t. LIAR comment.