Picks of the Week: San Francisco, East Bay offers impressive concert lineup

picks-of-the-week_lindsey-byrnes_fueled-by-ramen-courtesy-copy
Lindsey Byrnes/Fueled by Ramen/Courtesy

Leaves aren’t the only thing scattered across the Bay Area in late September — tons of fabulous musicians will be passing through on their tours this coming week as well. This Thursday, German band Milky Chance will grace the Fox Theater in Oakland with its alt-rock, folky tunes. ASUC SUPERB Productions, along with the African American Student Development Center, is bringing student musicians and rapper Kamau to the campus stage on Friday; Glass Animals will be performing at Hearst Greek Theatre that same night. Over the weekend, Dev Hynes of Blood Orange will be bringing his indie-R&B sound to the Fox on Saturday, and Sunday, Paramore will be rocking the Paramount Theatre in Oakland.

This week of concerts in the Bay Area is sure to wake us up before September ends.

Thursday, Sept. 21 | Milky Chance at Fox Theater

You probably know Milky Chance for the band’s popular dance hits “Stolen Dance” or “Flashed Junk Mind,” but the band recently put out its sophomore album Blossom, which has garnered accolades for its folky and melodic, yet still hook-driven vibe. The band is touring in support of the album and rolls through Oakland on Thursday at the Fox Theater. Tickets are available on Ticketmaster, and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 22 | ASUC SUPERB X AASD Student Group Showcase featuring Kamau

Kamau will arrive on Upper Sproul this Friday as part of a collaboration between ASUC SUPERB and the African American Student Development Center, which are hosting a student group showcase. Before Kamau takes the stage, there will be performances from other student groups — including dance performances. Kamau draws upon multiple influences for his rap verses and smooth vocalizations, and there is a notable African influence that brings a refreshing, marked departure from traditional rap music. The music will begin at 7 p.m., and his performance promises to be one of the gems in SUPERB’s lineup.

Friday, Sept. 22 | Glass Animals at Hearst Greek Theatre

Glass Animals’ music has the energy of indie pop jams, the musicality of indie rock and the lyricism of the smoke circle scenes from “That ‘70s Show. Touring in support of How to Be a Human Being, the band will be coming to the Greek Theatre on Friday. The new album features tracks based on a set of characters constructed out of lead singer Dave Bayley’s experiences and stories he’s heard on tour, characters the band tries to inhabit when performing live. Tickets for the show are available through Another Planet Entertainment; the show starts at 7 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 23 | Blood Orange at Fox Theater

Devonté Hynes, the man behind the experimental R&B band Blood Orange, has influenced and worked with some of the most innovative names in music, including Solange, Sky Ferreira and Florence + the Machine, just to name a few. His lyrical works have addressed complex topics — teen homelessness, being Black in America, falling in love — against the background of beats that pull from an eclectic range of influences from jazz to ‘80s electronic. Following a stellar opening performance for Grace Jones last August at the Hearst Greek Theatre, he’s come back to grace Oakland’s Fox Theater as the headlining act.  

Sunday, Sept. 24 | Paramore at Paramount Theatre of the Arts

This year, Paramore came back after more than four years with a new album After Laughter, which features original drummer Zac Farro returning to the band. The album finds the band trying out some new directions, with a confessional spoken word track with vocals supplied by Aaron Weiss of MewithoutYou and even some post-hardcore influences. The band will be playing at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland on Sunday, and tickets are available on Ticketmaster. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].