What we’re thankful for on World Gratitude Day

Print
Crystal Zhong/File

We at the Clog have good news and bad news. The good news is that we don’t have to wait until November for a day of thanks. World Gratitude Day is Sept. 21 and we’re too psyched about how incredibly fortunate we are. The bad news is that we have way too much to be grateful for to fit it all into just two days out of the year. The other bad news is that World Gratitude Day suffers from a distinct lack of mashed potatoes and gravy. 

Side dishes aside, there’s so much for us to be stoked about in life. From major items such as our education to minor joys like a friendly AC Transit driver, we at the Clog are just getting started with the gratitude.

We’re forever grateful for any store that offers student discounts. After forking over an arm, a leg and the promise of our first born child to the robber barons that are textbook manufacturers, we could all use some serious retail therapy. As mostly broke college students with highly misaligned priorities, the 10 to 25 percent discount that companies throw our way is the perfect reason we need to indulge in an online shopping spree. Shout out to that berkeley.edu for coming through just when we need it most. Being a lifelong procrastinator can take its toll, so papa’s looking for a brand new bag. 

Another one of life’s greatest pleasures has got to be Trader Joe’s pre-sliced pineapple. It’s not that we aren’t able to buy and prepare whole pineapples ourselves. There’s nothing that prevents us from peeling, coring, slicing and dicing that tropical fruit that we love. There’s just something about not having to do adult things ourselves that makes us happy. It’s like when we go home and the saint who birthed us graciously does our laundry. The gratitude is too great to put into words. We may be old enough to live on our own, but we still like to be spoon-fed. We’d be lying if we said we’ve never considered buying baby food for the thrill of not having to chew for ourselves. 

There is no elation that compares to when we come home and discover that our roommate broke out the vacuum and disinfectant wipes for a spontaneous cleaning session. We’re not worthy of the luxury of living in a habitat cleaned by someone else. Lord knows we’re high key useless for matters involving habitat hygiene. The last time we thought about using disinfectant wipes was when we considered how effective the alcohol solution would be to get us drunk. 

Happy World Gratitude Day from us at the Clog. What are you most grateful for?

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].