A playlist for your post-midterm blues

coloredited_jessicakhauv_blog_beachman
Jessica Khauv/Staff

Sometimes midterms suck. Maybe the test was unnaturally tough. Maybe you didn’t have enough time to study or didn’t study the right things. In any case, we at the Clog offer you this playlist in hopes of allowing you to feel your pain so that you can get back into the right mindset for your next midterms.

“Comfortably Numb” – Pink Floyd

After a rough exam, listen to Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb” – its airy vocals and powerful guitar solos produce a beautiful, haunting song. The lyrics state: “the child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb.” This resonates with our own broken dreams of getting that 4.0.

“The Sound of Silence” – Simon & Garfunkel 

This is probably one of the most iconic depressing songs out there. Its melody and lyrics sonically represent your deep sense of failure. If you’ve failed midterms before, you should understand the lyrics “hello darkness, my old friend.”

“Looking for a Star” – XXXTentacion

At this point, you’re probably crying, but XXXTentacion’s song won’t give you much relief. It talks of X’s inability to cope with the loss of a relationship. Similarly, you’re probably finding it hard to cope with the loss of the possibility of scoring an A.

“Dust in the Wind” – Kansas

This is an old song, yet it’s so relevant. Your GPA is effectively “dust in the wind.” Your remaining hopes and dreams become “just a drop of water in an endless sea.”

“Rose Golden” – Kid Cudi

Now that you’ve come to terms with your midterm catastrophe, it’s time to motivate yourself because there’s always more midterms. “Rose Golden” is the perfect song to motivate yourself. Like Cudi says, the “future (is) in (your) hands” and you’re “stronger than (you) know.”

“Rise and Fall” – The Rigs

The Rigs make it clear with the song*’*s title: you either rise or fall. After failing a midterm you have these two choices. You should probably try to rise above it all though, for, to quote The Rigs, “if you don’t rise you fall.”

“Legendary” – Welshly Arms

The last step to perfect your new mindset is to listen to “Legendary.” With lyrics such as “I think they got it all wrong/we just gotta hold on,” you can understand that you just have to hang in there and keep studying. Only by hanging on “through the struggles and the trade-offs” can your next midterm grade be “legendary.”

We at the Clog hopes this playlist helps you get over those post midterm blues. Good luck on your midterms and study hard! Peace, love, Clog.

Contact Melany Dillon at [email protected].