Recipe: Mango sticky rice

mangorice_chelseasong_staff-copy
Chelsea Song/Staff

Mango sticky rice is a staple of Thai cuisine. Though this dish is usually consumed during peak mango season (April and May), we at the Clog say there is never a time that isn’t right to consume this delicious sweet treat. It’s one of the easiest dishes to prepare, and it hardly takes any time at all. Check it out.

Ingredients:

1 can coconut milk

1/3 cup cane sugar

1/2 cup jasmine rice

1/2 cup water

sliced mangos

Directions:

If you don’t have a rice cooker, don’t fear! Making any kind of rice is easy as long as you have a pot, water, and a stove. First, wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. If you don’t have a rice cooker, add the rice and your water into a pot and set it on the stove at the lowest possible setting — but make sure the setting isn’t so low that the fire has gone out. Put the lid on your pot and wait about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how fast your rice has cooked. If you do have a rice cooker, follow the instructions of your rice cooker instead.

While the rice is cooking on the stove, take your coconut milk and sugar and mix them together in a pot on medium-low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved in the coconut milk. This should be super quick! Do not keep your coconut milk and sugar on the stove for too long, or it could mess up the consistency.

After your rice has finished cooking, you can simply stir in the coconut milk mixture into the pot with rice, or you can opt to remove the rice and stir in the coconut milk mixture in a large bowl. Either will do.

Lastly, top off your rice with your sliced mangos. You can top off this dish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, if you wish. Enjoy!

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].