UC Berkeley students harassed after Milo Yiannopoulos publicly identifies them

calserve_mraphael_courtesy-copy
Mikaela Raphael/Courtesy

Milo Yiannopoulos publicly posted the photos and identifying information of ASUC Senator Juniperangelica Cordova-Goff and campus doctoral student Adam Jadhav on Wednesday, spurring harassment from his supporters.

Yiannopoulos posted a screenshot of one of Cordova-Goff’s Facebook posts on his Instagram account after she condemned chalk graffiti that targeted undocumented and LGBTQ+ individuals. Yiannopoulos also published a photo of Jadhav after Jadhav notified his political ecology students that Tuesday’s class would be cancelled for “Free Speech Week.”

Cordova-Goff initially deactivated her official Senate Facebook page, but it has since been reactivated, and she published a statement titled “On Being Targeted and Doxxed” in response to the incident Thursday.

“My existence, as a brown, transgender woman, was put on display and ridiculed by thousands who commented with queer and transgender slurs, vulgar remarks and death threats,” Cordova-Goff said in the statement.

The ASUC Senate called for a special meeting Saturday to consider a resolution called “Enumerating Prohibitions Against Doxxing and Outing. The resolution, if passed, would make doxxing — the publishing of information about an individual on the Internet without their consent —  and outing violations of the ASUC Constitution.

“Organizations (including ASUC officials) are be responsible for violations of this bylaw by speakers and similar invited guests at their meetings and events,” the resolution states.

ASUC Senator Hani Hussein also reported Islamophobic and xenophobic comments being posted on her official Facebook page Wednesday. To Hussein, the connection between the comments and Free Speech Week is clear.

“Obviously there’s been a lot of conversation around (Free Speech Week) in the Senate and on our Facebook pages. We’ve been very critical of the events that are going to take place,” Hussein said. “We use our Facebook profiles to promote any and all work that we do … and as a result, we are being targeted.”

Hussein deactivated her Facebook page. She called on campus administration to take responsibility for the incidents. Cordova-Goff also said in her statement that the harassment “could have been, and should have been, prevented by the university itself.”

Chancellor Carol Christ released a campuswide email condemning “hateful incidents” occurring around campus. UCPD is investigating whether the incidents constitute hate crimes, the email said.

“The campus completely condemns … assaulting words or deeds that target any member of our community. This is simply intolerable,” campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said. “We urge anyone who either has been targeted or has witnessed what they believe to be unlawful activity to immediately contact the police department.”

Contact Olivia Nouriani at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @olivianouriani.

• Jack Spencer

Lies. Most of these posts are nothing more than criticisms of Cordova-Goff’s, and Hussein’s position on free speech. Instead of engaging they use the leftist tactic of being the victim of hate speech. The ASUC dutifully complies.

• Bill Jarett

Mentally ill illegal aliens… wonderful.

• Mori

I just want to point out that this article just posted identifying information on ASUC Senator JuniperAngelica Cordova-Goff and campus doctoral student Adam Jadhav. Oh whoops, I just did too. What was the crime again? This article needs to be way more specific if it wants to have a legitimate claim of harassment. Otherwise this is just fear mongering that has become way too typical on campus as of late. I can easily find pictures of these two individuals online. They are public, and are on display on this article. Where are the rational people in journalism?

• ddg12

This isn’t doxxing, it’s the sharing of publicly posted content to her social media page as an ASUC senator. No private info was shared, he didn’t identify her, or share anything that wasn’t already available for everyone to see.

BCR members were doxxed. BCR are whiny babies, but they were seriously doxxed hard last time Milo came to town. Their email addresses were shared, private posts from their personal social media channels were shared, photos and videos of them were shared, and well-researched bios on them were shared. Why wasn’t there a resolution for that?

This is just one example of many of why ASUC Senators are a joke.

• lspanker

And I see we’re back to removing any posts that are in any way critical of the militant transgender crowd. I guess that’s the way of admitting that these people can’t win the argument when both sides of the issue are presented, correct?

• Abstraction

What exactly is the argument here?

Or do you agree with people sending/posting hateful (and possibly even threatening) messages to ASUC senators solely on the basis of their gender/religion?

• lspanker

We have no proof anyone sent a threatening message to this individual, and thanks to the reputation of members of certain politically protected groups on campus of making up such accusations to seek attention and bolster their professional victim status, we need to take anything these oh-so-perpetually-offended people say with a grain of salt…

• Shanice Williams

Free speech is dangerous speech! Repeal the first amendment!

• We need to ban hate speech on campus

• lspanker

We need to ban people like you, who are apparently incapable of handling viewpoints different from their own.

• Joe Brant

Harassment isn’t a viewpoint.

• lspanker

Harassment is in the eyes the recipient. Too many snowflakes scream “harassment” simply because they can’t handle the fact that people dare disagree with them. The faux outrage expressed by those who can’t handle any disagreement from the PC party line on gender confusion are a case in point…

• Guest

It’s Triggly-DeAndre-Puff.

• s randall
    • Milo says it’s still ON.

• Steven Childs

What a hatchet piece (NPR) I’m still trying to figure out where the anti women and anti gay speech is coming from when a gay guy and woman were asked to speak.

• Patranus

Not sure I understand the issue….they made public posts under their real names….they didn’t try and shield their identity via an anonymous handle and use their ‘official’ platform to make statements. They are/essentially made themselves public figures.

• Graeme Stewart

I was under the impression that social media was for sharing your thoughts publicly. If you dont want to be doxx dont post.
    Now queue the liberals saying you have a right to privacy on your publicly shared social media posts.

• Cynthia

*cue

• lspanker

Did you get your SJW fix for the week, snowflake?

• manderso

Did you get your fix ff.

• Tizzie Lish

was it ‘publicly shared’ or was it shared to a selected audience and a member of that audience took a screen shot and gave it to Milo? big difference

• lspanker

If nobody has ever told you how stupid and ridiculous you sound with your wild-ass spinning of events, let me be the first…

• Graeme Stewart

The expectation of privacy is limited at best. So if you heard something you didn’t like at a cage between two people in their conversation then shared that with the world…. Are you in the wrong or is the idea it was said in public place or in this cases a public platform.

• lspanker

“My existence, as a brown, transgender woman”

No, you’re a bearded guy in a dress.You don’t think anyone else figured that out before Milo even said a word about you?

• Cynthia

What a disgusting little person you must be.

• lspanker

So the truth disgusts you? Guess what, being silenced in order to protect people from dealing with the truth disgusts me, so I guess we’re even.

• Emily S Howard

Spanker’s name fits him/her/them. complaining about left running everyone’s life then going off about someone’s true gender. Must be scared of something, since his truth is the only truth

• lspanker

Spanker’s name fits him/her/them. complaining about left running everyone’s life then going off about someone’s true gender.

“True gender” is determined by one’s chromosomes, not clothing, cosmetic surgery, erotic fantasies or what you ‘feel’ to be at the moment. If you think that nobody else figured out these “transgender” people before Milo said something about it, then you’re quite delusional.

• Emonthesouthside

Ah, so you have problems with “confidence.” I see, explains a lot. Were you bottle-fed?

• lspanker

I’m not the one pretending to be what I am not, Princess. BTW, you forget you changed handles or what?

• manderso

Of course your pretending, your such a toughie. Not.

• Tizzie Lish

You must not read the often very nasty comments on Berkeleyside. Spanker is a leading jerk on that site. and, altho I am not 100% certain, I don’t think he actually lives in the Bay Area. He is often quite nasty on Berkeleyside. Not surprised he is nasty here. Whoever he really is, because he is not lspanker for real.

• lspanker

You must not read the often very nasty comments on Berkeleyside. Spanker is a leading jerk on that site.

Coming from a confused fool like you, I consider that the highest compliment.

• lspanker

The disgusting ones are those who need to flag comments they disagree with because they can’t win an argument based on facts or logic.

• Cynthia

Winning?
          You really think anyone “wins” Internet discussions?

• lspanker

If you’re not so concerned about “winning”, why do you flag other people’s posts?

• Cynthia

Oh, dear, oh dear. Where to begin with that comment … nowhere, because I feel like I’m arguing with someone who’s about to go polish his tinfoil hat in between InfoWars videos.

• manderso

Your an idiot who can type, it takes all kinds.

• michaelrose93

Reposting a screenshot from Facebook? Isn’t that the left’s favourite tactic as of late? How many people have lost their jobs over a tweet? What ridiculous hypocrisy!

Facebook and Twitter are public forums, deal with it.

• Tizzie Lish

Which is why smart people control their FB accounts carefully — at least the smart ones. It is not a public forum, btw. It is a private forum and hijacking a screen shot is an invasion of privacy.

• lspanker

Which is why smart people control their FB accounts carefully — at least the smart ones.

Even smarter people don’t bother with Facebook at all, which is geared towards adolescents, both of the chronological and intellectual kinds…

• Guest

Yup. It’s a surveillance “state” of it’s own masquerading as a social network for dumb-asses.

Same with Google, through they offer far better services in exchange for your privacy.

• ddg12

No, Tizzie. This was her page as an ASUC senator. Not her personal profile.

• Guest

Exactly. But even if it WAS her personal profile she has reasonable expectation of privacy when posting via facebook.
          Even if her personal profile is “private.”
          None.
          Zero.

• michaelrose93

Nope, the Facebook post was public, just as public as this comment, which anyone is free to re-post. You clearly know nothing about the law.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats can dish it out but not take it.

• Emily S Howard

Bring it.

• lspanker

Ooh, looky, another one of those little children who throw tantrums when they don’t get their way.

• Emily S Howard

Sweetheart, the balls are in your court.

• manderso

Why worry about the tiny handed boys of the right?

• These posts were publicly visible before Milo shared them, right? So he effectively did the equivalent of sharing someone’s Facebook post? Is that what we are upset about?

Like, obviously harassment is not cool and I stand by Juniperangelica and Adam. But I do feel like there might be some moral ambiguity with regard to Milo’s actions specifically.

• Dawn Thomson Creasey

Right, scream victim while all the while planning how to stifle others rights to voice an opinion.

• lspanker

Funny how these same “transgender” people demand attention all the time. They just get upset when that same attention doesn’t come with glowing praise and endorsement of their unconventional lifestyle choices…

• manderso

I’ve always liked Milos support among the righties. I mean, who knew.

• Tizzie Lish

If Milo is not someone’s FB ‘friend’ and he got the info from a screen shot, he is likely violating his victims’ privacy and his victims may have a cause of action to sue.

• Guest

Bullshit. If you post something on your facebook profile you have no expectation of privacy.

• lspanker

Yep, and if your pic shows you with 3 day’s worth of beard growth, you have no right to whine and cry when someone looks at it and identifies you as a male.

• Nick Knave

Or, in your case, when people assume you’re some dickless sack of insecurity with a limited capacity for intelligence.

• lspanker

I see you couldn’t refute my point, could you? We’re all supposed to pretend not to notice that there are men masquerading as women in order to gain access to ladies bathrooms, lockers, shower facilities etc. Ever consider that just letting some guy decide he’s a girl so he can just waltz in to one of these places in his own free will might not be a good idea? Ever consider that there are minor children (i.e young girls) using these same facilities, and that they and their parents may not feel comfortable with a grown male with male genitalia doing their thing besides them? Or is this just an attitude of damn everyone else, we need to pander and cater to people who have some serious gender confusion as not to offend them?

• westSea

Can we have your photo and home address? After that, while telling you at which times your loved ones enter and leave your home, I’ll be sure to comment on your appearance too.

• lspanker

Comment all you want. I’m a male in a male’s body, and I won’t be using the women’s restroom for any reason.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

I think that “and identifying information” is what makes it doxxing.

Milo Yiannopoulos publicly posted the photos and identifying information
      of ASUC Senator Juniperangelica Cordova-Goff and campus doctoral
      student Adam Jadhav on Wednesday, spurring harassment from his
      supporters.

• Jason Miller

What was the identifying information? Their names?

• ddg12

Tizzie – these were shared from her page as an ASUC Senator that is public. This is the kind of page you “like,” not the kind you are friends with. It was all publicly available.

• Fahargo

She made a post about cleaning up the “violent chalking”. Milo screen cap posted it with the comment “violent chalking i am f-n dead! The guys a douche provocateur but at least go at him with something that’s serious or matters. And they do realize these policies on doxxing would then apply to students ousting people they are calling Nazi’s? All those people they like to doxx and call Nazis would then have a tool to use against them, Idiots

• Dawn Thomson Creasey

Exactly

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Since when did the people care what douch provocateurs even say…If you fight their free speech rights, you make them more popular. Why does the progressive (regressive) left not understand this?

• Cynthia

I know; people should just go ahead and take the abuse and shut up about it.

• lspanker

Or maybe they should grown up and not consider criticism to be “abuse”. Some of these people are in for a rude shock if they ever get a real job and expect everyone else to kow-tow to their particular sensitivities and preferences.

• Tizzie Lish

Criticism and abuse are different things.

• lspanker

Yep, it’s criticism when a liberal does it, and abuse when a conservative does it, correct?

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Or ignore them and suffer no abuse……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

• lspanker

The inherent autocratic/control freak tendencies of the hard left to not permit them to just walk away. They aren’t happy until they have told everyone else how to run their lives.