11 arrested in connection with protests of Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance at UC Berkeley

arrestbrief_lfrick_ss-copy
Lianne Frick/Senior Staff

Update 07/02/2018: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from Alameda County deputy district attorney Teresa Drenick.

Berkeley Police Department and its law enforcement partners arrested 11 people Sunday in connection with demonstrations related to Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance at UC Berkeley.

Seven of the 11 people arrested were arrested on suspicion of violating regulations prohibiting various items on city streets and sidewalks, according to a BPD Nixle alert released Sunday evening. According to the alert, there were no reported injuries due to violence and no reports of any property damage in connection with Sunday’s demonstrations.

The 11 people arrested are:

• Jonathan Cho, 27, of Oakland
  • Drean Coxburnett, 23, of Berkeley
  • Syth Feil, 30, of Redwood Valley
  • Kelsey James, 24, of Reno
  • David Johnson, 24, of Oakland
  • Kyle McCoy, 28, of Oakland
  • William Orr, 29, of Oakland
  • Gautam Reddy, 22, of San Ramon
  • Keith Sherman, 30, of Oakland
  • Rane Stark-Buhl, 27, of Oakland
  • Imalda Starling, 32, of Berkeley

BPD will continue to investigate potential crimes from the demonstration, according to the Nixle alert. No charges were filed against Reddy after his arrest, according to Alameda County deputy district attorney Teresa Drenick.

The alert also stated that BPD received assistance from 14 law enforcement agencies in and around campus, including UCPD, Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, California Highway Patrol, Oakland Police Department and Stanford University Police.

Harini Shyamsundar is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.