Car stops by Berkeley police lead to 2 arrests in connection with firearm possession

crime_danielkim_file-698x450
Daniel Kim/File

Car stops conducted by Berkeley Police Department on Friday and Sunday resulted in two arrests in connection with the possession of illegal firearms.

About 9:30 p.m. Friday, a BPD patrol officer stopped a Chevy in the area of 6th and Jones streets for a vehicle code violation, according to a Nixle alert released Tuesday by BPD. During a search of the vehicle, the officer located a loaded firearm under the driver’s seat, and it was later confirmed that the firearm had been reported stolen.

The officer arrested the driver, later identified as Sacramento resident Gerald Alderson, 31, on suspicion of carrying a concealed firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm, being in possession of narcotics paraphernalia and being in possession of stolen property. Alderson was booked at Berkeley Jail.

About 12:30 a.m. Sunday, a different patrol officer stopped a vehicle in the area of Acton Street and University Avenue for a vehicle code violation, and he located a loaded firearm under the driver’s seat. A subsequent inspection of the firearm revealed that the serial number had been removed.

Oakland resident Jalen Bryant, 22, the driver of the car, was arrested in connection with carrying a loaded firearm in public, carrying a concealed firearm and being in possession of a firearm without a proper identification mark. Bryant was also booked at Berkeley Jail.

Harini Shyamsundar is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.

• hoapres

This can’t happen in California because we have gun control laws that stop this from happening in the first place.

• hoapres

I am happy that no one got hurt.