NFL quarterbacks rebound for Bears in week 3

fantasy_seangoebel_file-copy
Sean Goebel/File

After a rough week two, Cal quarterbacks returned to top-dog status. The Cal running back squad struggled this week, failing to account for any meaningful statistics in their respective losses, but one Cal receiver stayed productive despite a tough loss.

Jared Goff

22/28, 292 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

After a tough week two loss at home to the Washington Redskins, the Rams held on to win against the San Francisco 49ers in a high-scoring game at Levi Stadium. For the first time in his career, Goff threw for 100+ yards to an individual receiver. Goff accomplished this feat not once, but twice this week, with both Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.

Goff connected with Watkins six times for 106 yards and two touchdowns, and the duo completed arguably the prettiest pitch and catch of the week with a 47 yard strike down the sideline. Robert Woods hauled in six catches for 108 yards from Goff, including two beautifully placed sideline catches.

At the end of week three, Goff and his Rams sit atop the NFC West, looking forward to a week four matchup against the Dallas Cowboys, who recently gave up 42 points to a Trevor Siemian-led Broncos’ offense. This game will give Los Angeles the chance to assert themselves as a dominant force amid an unpredictable NFC.

DeSean Jackson

4 Rec, 84 yards, 1 TD

After a quiet first game, the big-play threat had a productive game on a day where Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston’s was being picked off left and right. Despite only getting the third-most targets on the team, Jackson was able to haul in the most yards and highest per catch average, at 21 yards a haul.

While still early in the season, Jackson remains a consistent deep threat and solid option at wide receiver opposite Mike Evans. Tampa Bay goes into week four at home against a winless Giants. Despite looking anemic on offense through three games, the Giant’s secondary hasn’t allowed too many big passing plays through the season so far, providing an unpredictable gauge on how well this WR2 will play.

Aaron Rodgers

28/42, 313 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

Rodgers’ Packers squad escaped by the skin of their teeth in overtime against a Bengals offense that had been held to zero offensive touchdowns in their first two games. Rodgers had as rough a first half as he could, under-throwing Jordy Nelson on an out route which resulted in a pick six for Cincinnati. His offensive line wasn’t helping either, as Rodgers was sacked six times in the game.

The Packers were able to rally back with Rodgers’ productive second half which included two touchdown passes to Nelson, one of which was a well-placed out route throw to tie the game at 24. In overtime, Rodgers found Geronimo Allison for 72 yards on a free play due to a defensive penalty, resulting in easy field position for the Packers to kick a game winning field goal.

After taking quite the physical beating this Sunday, Rodgers and the Packers have a short week before they play a mediocre Bears team Thursday in Green Bay. Expect Rodgers to feast on the Bears weak secondary and to have another big game.

Other Notable Players

Keenan Allen – 5 receptions, 61 yards

On a day where Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers threw for three interceptions, Allen still managed to haul in 5 catches for 61 yards on 9 targets. Despite an abysmal 0-3 start to the season, Allen has remained relatively productive; when the Chargers finally manage to win a game, expect Allen to put up big numbers.

CJ Anderson – 8 rushes, 36 yards, 2 receptions, 7 yards

Anderson was relatively quiet in the Broncos’ defeat to the Bills this week, and it’s hard to know if that will change going into week four when they play the Raiders at home. The Raiders have not given up a ton of yards to an individual running back this season, but the Broncos have a highly rated rushing attack that could potentially go for big numbers against an Oakland team that looked vulnerable against the Redskins.

Marshawn Lynch – 6 rushes, 18 yards, 1 catch, 8 yards

Lynch had a very quiet game in the Raiders loss to the Redskins Sunday night. The Broncos have faced three elite running backs this season (Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliott, LeSean McCoy) but have not yielded significant fantasy points to any of them. Don’t expect Lynch to put up big numbers this Sunday.

Ethan Epstein writes for Bear Bytes, the Daily Californian’s sports blog. Contact him at [email protected].