Police standoff, fatal shootout on I-80 lead to spike in West Berkeley traffic

highway_chp_courtesy
California Highway Patrol/Courtesy

Traffic in West Berkeley spiked Wednesday morning because of a standoff between police and a homicide suspect on Interstate 80 that ended in a fatal shooting.

I-80 was shut down in both directions near the MacArthur Maze interchange after police became involved in a car chase and shootout with an individual wanted in connection with a homicide. Some freeway traffic was redirected to Berkeley streets, and community members were told by Berkeley Police Department to expect delays while traveling through West Berkeley.

The chase began about 8:40 a.m. in Fairfield, when Fairfield police officers unsuccessfully tried to take the suspect into custody. Richmond police officers and California Highway Patrol officers also assisted in the chase.

“Officers negotiated with the suspect for an extended period of time until officers received gun fire from the suspect,” detailed a statement released Wednesday by the Fairfield, Richmond and Emeryville police departments. “Officers on scene returned fire and the suspect was struck during the exchange.”

The suspect was then taken to a hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

By 11:06 a.m., the eastbound lanes of I-80 were reopened.

Check back for updates.

Harini Shyamsundar is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.