Senators Kamala Harris, Dianne Feinstein call for extension of DACA renewal deadline

extension_-lonnie-tague-for-the-department-of-justice_cc-copy
Lonnie Tague / Department of Justice/Creative Commons

U.S. Senators Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., joined 36 other senators Monday in petitioning the Trump administration to extend the Oct. 5 deadline for the DACA renewal application.

The call for an extension comes in the wake of three major storms that affected Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico in September. If approved, however, the extension will apply to DACA recipients across the United States, including those in the Bay Area. The petition stated that as the storms have “significantly disrupted day to day living” in the affected regions, a deadline extension would provide sufficient time for current DACA recipients to gather the $495 application fee and necessary paperwork.

The Trump administration announced the end of the DACA program earlier this month. Individuals whose DACA status expires before March 5, 2018 may submit applications for renewal until Oct. 5.

Feinstein and Harris’ spokespeople said the extension is important to all DACA recipients, including Californian recipients, who make up about a quarter of all DACA recipients.

“The hope is to allow … eligible Dreamers, including Dreamers in California, due process to renew and receive the assistance for legal service and help with the application process,” said Harris’ spokesperson Brenda Gonzalez in an email.

According to Meng So, director of the UC Berkeley Undocumented Student Program, many DACA recipients eligible for renewal are unaware of the Oct. 5 deadline and are predicted by experts to miss the “arbitrary date.”

Arturo Fernandez, an undocumented campus doctoral student, said he welcomed the additional time that an extension would offer DACA recipients, but he also explained that his support for the deadline extension is clouded by his overall attitude toward the DACA rescission.

“Dreamers … are being used as a bargaining chip in order to get some more hardline immigration measures in,” Fernandez said. “That’s not what DACA was meant to do, and that’s not what it means to … undocumented young people.”

Contact Olivia Nouriani at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @olivianouriani.

• tasam1

March out the DACAs that are in their 30s and working at the car wash as one article related. No, the DACAs had a deadline of Oct. 5. There should be no extension. President Trump promised to end DACA and start deporting. Start deporting now. Illegal aliens are a $1.35 billion fiscal burden on the country.

• California Defender

“U.S. Senators Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., joined 36 other senators…”

38 senators out of 100. That is a looooong ways from 51, that is if Democrats still believe in democracy. Not to mention 10 Democrats refused to sign the letter.

By this measure, only 21% of Democrat senators still believe, at least a little, in the rule of law.

• Bird of Prey

They do so, because they need those votes.

• California Defender

Curiously, DACA students march with signs reading “TRUMP REGIME MUST GO!” while demanding that Trump let them stay.

I guess they failed political science 101.