Dethroning the classic PSL: What took the title for best fall drink?

coloredited_fabihafairooz_coffee
Fabiha Fairooz/File

Long gone are the days of the pumpkin spice latte, for there has been a gem hiding underneath that autumn leaf pile on your local Starbuck’s menu. That, my friends, is the warm, sweet, yet slightly spicy chestnut praline latte. Don’t be fooled by the name’s unfortunate association with healthy nuts, for this drink is sure to leave you dreaming of roasting chestnuts on an open fire.

I still vividly remember my first experience with this life-changing drink. I walked into Starbucks, pensive and anxious with my leggings and chestnut Uggs on. I made made my way to the back of the line. Even though I was already aware of my mission to taste and review the chestnut praline latte, I couldn’t help but take one glance at the menu to appreciate the newly added seasonal selection of drinks. Just as I was about to look away, my eye caught sight of the pumpkin spice latte. Alas, I was weak, for this had always been my love. I approached the register and experienced a momentary lapse of judgment as I began to mutter “pumpkin spi-”. Fortunately, I was able to catch myself before the barista solidified my order with her jet black sharpie. “Sorry, I meant chestnut praline latte.”
Finally, after waiting for 10 minutes, my name was called. I grabbed my cup, with my name messily written on it (although I must applaud them for getting a whole three out of five letters of my name right), and headed out the door.

But wait, I almost forgot! The first thing that must be done as soon as I get any Starbucks drink is to make it known by uploading at least one picture to all of my social media accounts. For Instagram, an artsy picture that accurately captured the grandeur of this fall drink, appropriately accompanied with the hashtags #thosefalldayz #onpoint. I was sure not to forget the Starbucks geo-tag, for the large Starbucks logo in the middle of the cup was simply not enough. I then continued to share photos of my drink on Snapchat and Twitter. It was finally time to try my most highly anticipated Starbucks beverage that I’d been eyeing for weeks. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking, alas I tilted the tumbler toward my lips. Little did I know, my life would never be the same.

Initially, it tasted like straight sugar. The aftertaste, however, left me with a pleasant nutty and smoky holiday-like flavor. The espresso and steamed milk are laced with chestnut praline syrup and then topped with whipped cream and crushed spiced pralines (whatever pralines are, am I right?).

Now I know what I’ll be needing to stay awake the night before my chemistry final: the chestnut praline latte, aka the CPL (I mean hey it deserves a nickname too, right?). It’ll prepare me for those sugar-and-caffeine induced sleepless nights that routinely come with drinking any Starbucks concoction past 8 p.m.

Thanks a latte Starbz, now I’m gonna be broke once again.

Contact Dorsa Moslehi at [email protected].