Surgery ends Cal football wide receiver Demetris Robertson’s season early

football_phillipdowney_file
Phillip Downey/File

Injuries have started to pile up for Cal football, and sophomore wide receiver Demetris Robertson will now officially miss the remainder of the 2017 season after surgery to recover from a lower body injury.

Robertson was a late scratch before Cal’s week-three victory over Ole Miss, and the speedy receiver essentially broke the news himself, posting on Instagram Saturday night during Cal football’s loss to Oregon that he had surgery to fix an injury that also plagued him during his freshman year.

Robertson is one of three key returners to suffer season-ending injuries early this year for the Bears. Senior running back Tre Watson went down in Cal’s week-two win over Weber State, and outside linebacker Cameron Saffle played only in Cal’s first game of the season, an upset win over UNC on the road.

It’s tough for any team to lose such key players so early in the season, but the upside is that because Robertson and Watson played so few games and have not redshirted before, they will likely be eligible to medically redshirt this season, meaning this year will not count against their eligibility.

Andrew Wild is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @andrewwild17.