Picks of the week: Film, music and comedy recommendations from the arts staff

Happy Death Day (2017)
Blumhouse Productions/Courtesy

Selecting the most fun or interesting events for a given week is never an easy task, especially in the Bay Area — a veritable hotspot for arts and entertainment. This coming week will offer a host of exciting opportunities to enjoy art, and we’ve laid out a few of them here, ranging from film screenings and Q&As to concerts and music festivals. No matter which you choose to partake in, you’ll be sure to have an unforgettable time.

Wednesday, Oct. 4 | Grease Sing-A-Long

For those hopelessly devoted to the 1978 musical classic “Grease,” the Grease Sing-A-Long at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco is an absolute must. Every classic song, from “You’re the One That I Want” to “Beauty School Dropout” to “Greased Lightnin’, ” will be subtitled so that the entire audience can sing along. It’s also the perfect opportunity to bust out your leather jackets and pink wigs, especially for the costume contest taking place during the screening. The Wednesday night screening is the first of three “Grease” sing-a-longs on consecutive nights, each taking place at 7 p.m. Tickets will cost $16 for adults and $11 for kids and seniors.

Thursday, Oct. 5 | SUPERB Presents: ‘Happy Death Day’ Advanced Screening

If you’re a fan of the 1993 classic, “Groundhog Day,” but always thought it was missing a particularly murderous edge, then the upcoming free advanced screening of “Happy Death Day” is right up your alley.

College student Tree Gelbman (Jessica Rothe) finds herself endlessly reliving her birthday, ending each day with the same unfortunate present: her death. Armed with the knowledge that she essentially has an “unlimited amount of lives,” Tree sets out to find and stop her killer so she can live to blow out her candles.

From the producers of films such as “Get Out,” “Paranormal Activity” and “Insidious,” “Happy Death Day” looks to be a fun and easygoing combination of both sci-fi and horror tropes. Experience a popcorn flick that’ll, at the very least, remind you that the music of 50 Cent is still somewhat relevant. Doors open at 7:30 p.m at UA Berkeley 7.

Friday, Oct. 6 | Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 2017

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is a free 3-day festival in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, beginning Friday, Oct. 6 and ending Sunday, Oct. 8. The performances will take place at several stages, with more than twenty total musicians performing each day. Acts on Friday will include Brandi Carlile, First Aid Kit and Big Thief (who will also soon perform at UC Berkeley). Saturday will see shows from Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys and Henry Rollins of Black Flag, and musicians Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile will perform together Sunday. Hardly Strictly will take place from noon to 7 p.m. on Friday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday — but visitors can arrive as early as 10 a.m. to snag a spot in the park.

Saturday, Oct. 7 | Matt Groening & Lynda Barry: Berkeley Talks

Matt Groening & Lynda Barry are coming to campus Oct. 7. You may recognize Groening as the hailed editor of his campus newspaper, the Cooper Point Journal, and Barry as the ingenious teacher of the workshop “Writing the Unthinkable.” Oh, and he was responsible for creating the modestly successful shows known as “The Simpsons” and “Futurama,” while she used to publish a small comic strip “Ernie Pook’s Comeek.” No biggie. But hey, they’re coming to UC Berkeley to look back at their lives as close friends and creative partners for 40 years! And they’re going to be answering all the burning questions you might have for them in Zellerbach Hall at 8 p.m. Tickets will start at $25.

Sunday, Oct. 8 | The Weeknd in Oakland’s Oracle Arena

Given the inescapable reach of smash hit “Starboy” and the Daft Punk-featuring “I Feel It Coming,” little introduction is needed for two-time Grammy winner The Weeknd. This weekend (heh, get it?) you can catch The Weeknd at Oracle Arena in support of last year’s release Starboy. If you haven’t caught up on the latest tracks, you’ll likely still remember the tracks that launched him to international prominence — “The Hills” and “Can’t Feel My Face.” Tickets for the show are available from Ticketmaster, and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].