Renowned lawyer Alan Dershowitz confirmed to speak at UC Berkeley despite setback with guest speaker policy

speaker_thehuntington_creativecommons-copy
The Huntington/Creative Commons

After his plans to deliver a pro-Israel speech at UC Berkeley were put on hold, renowned civil liberties lawyer Alan Dershowitz confirmed Monday that he had received a personal invitation to speak on campus from UC Berkeley School of Law Dean Erwin Chemerinsky.

Dershowitz’s talk, titled “Liberal Case for Israel,” is co-sponsored by the Chabad Jewish Student Center and pro-Israel student group Tikvah. The groups had initially invited Dershowitz, also a professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, to speak at UC Berkeley on Oct. 10, but difficulties arose in light of the campus’s recently instituted interim policy for major events hosted by nondepartmental entities.

Effective Aug. 14, campus student groups inviting speakers must notify administrators eight weeks in advance about planned events with an intended audience larger than 200 individuals to allow time for security assessment. Chabad and Tikvah failed to give the campus eight weeks’ notice about Dershowitz’s event, so the administration asked them to either reschedule the event or reduce their target audience to 199 people to maintain compliance with policy.

“I want (my talk) to be open to everybody,” Dershowitz said.

Adah Forer, co-president of Tikvah, said she felt one of the main issues with the policy is that the eight-week rule would have required students to make arrangements for guest speakers before the semester began.

“It has been a frustrating experience trying to plan a large event with the new policies, as there are many intended roadblocks in the interim policies that are simply there to stop students from hosting their desired speakers,” Forer alleged in an email. “I understand the administration’s desire to keep the campus community safe, but these policies are a setback.”

The eight-week rule does not apply to invitations extended to speakers by campus departments, schools, colleges or units, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof. Dershowitz said he tried reaching out to relevant departments but was turned down or ignored.

Dershowitz alleged that these same departments had previously sponsored speakers from the pro-Palestine Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement. According to Dershowitz, the content-neutral eight-week rule, when combined with departments’ ability to invite speakers with select viewpoints, is “unconstitutional.”

“It’s a point of principle,” Dershowitz said. “There will be other pro-Israel speakers that will be affected by these policies.”

According to Berkeley Law spokesperson Susan Gluss, Chemerinsky heard from the law school’s Jewish Students Association that Dershowitz wanted to speak on campus. Chemerinsky, a long-time proponent of free speech, called Dershowitz to personally invite him to campus.

“(Chemerinsky) has known Dershowitz for a long time and thinks very highly of him,” Gluss said in an email.

The law school is still working out the details and date for Dershowitz’s visit. Chabad and Tikvah will continue to serve as co-sponsors for the event, Forer said.

Ani Vahradyan covers academics and administration. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.

• snooks

I wonder if the brownshirt antifa goons and/or the RCP Maoloons come out in force for this. The broad masses need to have their hearts and minds sheltered from crimethink by their revolutionary vanguard! Because Dershowitz is not an in-your-face rightist, however, perhaps the safeplace snowflakes at least will not need extra protection…

• California Defender

How interesting that they prevented Dershowitz from speaking without 60 days to review security (and likely charge a prohibitive security fee).

Yet some leftist rapper named “Vic Mensa” was able to hold an anti-free speech week concert and speech in less than 20 days. The rapper was also arrested a few months ago on felony concealed gun charges and entered a plea bargain to avoid prison. But apparently Berkeley isn’t too concerned about THAT security.

Once again, we see these paperwork and security policies have nothing to do with actual security as they are implemented only to curtail the freedom of speech.

• zzz

OJ lawyer. ahem…

I would guess it was around 1980 or so where the sides slowly switched, the left was a fan of Israel while the right wasn’t so much, Dershowitz is just going with what was the thing back in the day for liberals, he has tried to keep a steady view on the subject while the rabble do the “enemy of my enemy” type thing.

Right wing religionists are looking forward to the rapture brought on by Israel or some such idiocy and the left true to form looked for reason to not like Israel.

• Buddy Martin

Stop working for somebody because it might waste your time. Find the easiest way of working at home, and to earn money fast, check out this website Emini S&P Trading Secret.

• jeyhovah

tell me more