Students deserve better leaders than UC regent Norman Pattiz

UNIVERSITY ISSUES: His continued position as a regent reflects a clear contradiction of the UC's core principles.

coloredited_kellybaird_ucregents_editorial1
Kelly Baird/Staff

Last October, in the wake of a series of high-profile UC sexual harassment cases, an incriminating audio recording of UC Regent Norman Pattiz asking his female colleague if he could hold her breasts surfaced.

Then, nothing happened to him. Pattiz issued a half-hearted apology and attended the November UC Board of Regents meeting as per usual. In a sort of horrible irony, he sat on the committee tasked with amending regents’ ethical conduct — a conversation prompted by his own repulsive behavior.

Now, Pattiz is being sued for allegedly brandishing a loaded gun at an employee who wouldn’t comply with Pattiz’s request to use false advertising statistics. Pattiz denies the claim, but this is another accusation against a man who has already shown himself to be bereft of a moral compass — of the values UC stakeholders such as students, faculty, staff and taxpayers would hope their own governing body would defend.

How does an unsavory character like Pattiz continue to sit on the board that holds the fate of the UC system in its hands? His continued position as a regent reflects a clear contradiction of the university’s core principles of equity, diversity and safety, said former UC Student Association President Ralph Washington Jr. to The Daily Californian last year.

It is virtually impossible to boot out a regent: There are few accountability standards or disciplinary actions for regents when they violate conduct policy. As UC Regent Bonnie Reiss said during the November 2016 meeting, “If a regent was found guilty of robbing a bank … what can the board do?”

The board has the authority to ask a member to resign, but the state attorney must initiate the process to officially remove a regent. And that really only happens in the case of flagrant transgressions, such as corruption or a felony conviction.

The university must institute a more democratic system for removal. Regents serve lengthy 12-year terms and make huge decisions, from tuition hikes to changes in pension plans. Their actions impact more than 428,000 students, faculty and staff members. It is of the utmost importance that the UC community be able to hold the UC Board of Regents accountable and that the board members’ values and backgrounds reflect those of the people they serve.

For four decades, the process of selecting regents has been shrouded in mystery — potential regents are appointed almost entirely at the discretion of Gov. Jerry Brown, who is “advised” only in name by an undisclosed group of people, according to a June report by the San Francisco Chronicle.

For how much influence regents have on the UC, the composition of the board — mostly wealthy CEOs and corporate lawyers — is disarming, and it is illustrative of a deeply flawed process of regent selection. A radio mogul with little experience in higher education like Pattiz would have little understanding of the plight of a student. He is clearly not qualified to cast a vote on the decisions that make the difference between whether or not a student can afford a UC education.

The UC system deserves a better leader than Norman Pattiz. It’s time to implement more accountability measures for current regents and to establish a more democratic way of choosing new ones.

• California Defender

“…shown himself to be bereft of a moral compass.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that a required qualification to serve on the UC board?

• diogenes

This editorial lacks ANY details whatsoever of who Mr. Pattiz is or why he was appointed to the Board in the first place. These are fundamental facts. Their omission severely damages its effectiveness or use and reflects poorly on the editorial staff’s fundamental skills as journalists and editors. PLEASE CORRECT THIS OVERSIGHT.

• California Defender

A little research, which the DC never does, finds that Mr. Pattiz is the founder of the largest radio conglomerate in the world and, oddly, heads boards for weapons laboratories. He is a resident of Beverly Hills, Jewish, and has a net worth over $350 million. He is friends with Bill and Hillary Clinton and was appointed by then President Bill to the Broadcasting Board of Governors. He has been a major donor to the Democratic Party, with large amounts going to (you guessed it) Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Barack Obama, and Jerry Brown.

Perhaps the last one is why he’s on the UC Board. Most UC board members have given large donations to the Governor, according to the LA Times.

Now the curtain is pulled back and we see who this person really is: An upstanding darling of the left, or so they would have you believe. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.