Week 4 Cal NFL Recap

What : Cal Footballl vs. Washington
Where: The Huskie Stadium in Seattle
When: September 24, 2011
Emma Lantos/File
What : Cal Footballl vs. Washington Where: The Huskie Stadium in Seattle When: September 24, 2011

Just as last week, Cal quarterbacks kept the school’s reputation afloat as many of Cal’s other offensive weapons were unable to produce.

Aaron Rodgers

18/26, 179 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT

Despite only having four days between games, Aaron Rodgers showed once again why he is one of the best in the league by throwing for four touchdowns in a Thursday night matchup against the Bears. He connected with Jordy Nelson this week for two more touchdowns, as well as one-a-piece to Randall Cobb and Davante Adams. Green Bay will enjoy some much-needed extra rest coming off of their last two games, especially dealing with injuries to key offensive players Ty Montgomery and Adams. As the status for these two players next Sunday is largely unknown, Rodgers may take on an even larger load leading the offense. This upcoming matchup is against a Dallas team whose defense has been lackluster this year, so with the extra time off between games, expect another big week from Rodgers.

Jared Goff

21/36, 255 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Under new head coach Sean McVay, the Rams have put up 142 points through their first four games, including three games of 35 points or more. Jared Goff seems to be flourishing in the new offensive system and has created a nice tandem threat with third-year running back Todd Gurley. During Sunday’s 35-30 win over the Dallas Cowboys, Goff connected with Gurley on a pass through the middle of the field that found him running in stride and subsequently turned into a 53-yard touchdown pass to put the Rams up 26-24 late in the third quarter. Goff also connected with rookie wide receiver Cooper Kupp for a seven-yard touchdown earlier in the game. The first place Rams go into week five with a home matchup against fellow NFC west member Seattle Seahawks, giving the Rams the chance to take a two-game lead in their division midway through the season.

Keenan Allen

5 receptions, 138 yards

While the Chargers’ woes continued in a close 26-24 defeat at home against the Philadelphia Eagles, Allen continues to put up decent numbers. Despite the loss, the fifth-year pro hauled in five catches on 11 targets including a 50-yard grab. Next week’s matchup is against a winless Giants squad, begging the question of which team will emerge with their first win. If it is Los Angeles, expect Allen to play a big part in the victory.

CJ Anderson

20 rushes, 95 yards

On a day dominated by both teams’ defense, Anderson was still able to be productive, averaging 4.8 yards per carry against the Raiders defense. If there was any question to whether Anderson’s production would be impacted with the signing of Jamaal Charles, it seems to have been answered as Anderson had the majority of the Broncos’ rushing attempts. Denver has a bye this week, and heads into a matchup against the Giants on Oct. 15. A well-rested Anderson should have a solid outing.

Lackluster performances

DeSean Jackson

2 receptions, 20 yards

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston had over a 300 yard game, yet Jackson was only able to bring in two of his six targets for a measly 20 yards. Tampa Bay, however, is up against a struggling New England defense this Thursday which leaves potential for some big plays from Jackson.

Marvin Jones Jr.

2 receptions, 42 yards

A year removed from putting up almost 1000 receiving yards, Jones Jr. still has yet to have a breakout game this season. Whether or not next week’s matchup against a hot and cold Carolina defense will be that breakout performance remains to be seen.

Marshawn Lynch

9 rushes, 12 yards

Lynch’s struggles to produce continue. Combined with an injured Derek Carr, Lynch is firmly in the do not start category this week. Once he proves he can consistently produce, and only then, should he be a starting running back for fantasy leagues.

Ethan Epstein writes for Bear Bytes, the Daily Californian’s sports blog. Contact him at [email protected].