Fire in North Berkeley safely controlled in 20 minutes, causes $80,000 in damage

Related Posts

A fire caused by a still-lit cigarette broke out Thursday night at 1425 Stannage Ave. in North Berkeley.

About 10:42 p.m., the Berkeley Fire Department received a call about a house on fire from a passerby, who alerted the house’s residents by knocking on their window. According to BFD Assistant Chief of Special Operations Keith May, the fire was controlled within 20 minutes and was likely caused by a smoldering cigarette that had fallen into the cracks of the house’s front porch.

May said the fire looked bigger than it actually was, but it caused at least $80,000 in damage.

There were no reported injuries, and the house’s three residents are staying with relatives, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Contact Elise Ulwelling at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @EMarieulwelling.

Please keep our community civil. Comments should remain on topic and be respectful.
Read our full comment policy