Cal in NFL recap week 5

rodgers
Elviskennedy/Courtesy

A chaotic Sunday found two Cal quarterbacks looking for wins at the last second, but only one of them would connect on their game winning throw. Trends for star Cal receivers are looking up, while the running back squad is yet to produce a jaw-dropping performance.

Aaron Rodgers

19/29, 221 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Aaron Rodgers led the Green Bay offense to a last-second victory by finding Davante Adams for a 12-yard touchdown pass with 11 seconds to go in the fourth corner. Though the status of Adams and running back Ty Montgomery were questionable going into this game, Adams did play, and Rodgers found him for two scores, while Montgomery did not play, but rookie running back Aaron Jones was able to provide 125 rushing yards and a touchdown to support his quarterback. Green Bay has asserted itself as a dominant force this season, and with a multitude of offensive weapons at his disposal, Rodgers will continue to provide solid fantasy football outings for the rest of the season. Next week’s matchup will be an away game against a resilient Minnesota Vikings team, whose defense has given up the fourth least amount of points thus far this season.

Jared Goff

22/47, 288 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

Jared Goff struggled all game long against the Seahawks, throwing for two interceptions on horrible efficiency, but when he needed to come in with a clutch game-winning throw, he delivered a beautiful throw over the middle to rookie receiver Cooper Kupp. Unfortunately, Kupp was unable to hang onto the throw and the Rams suffered their second loss of the season. While this game proved to be the toughest so far this season for the young Rams’ quarterback, his resiliency against a highly-touted Seattle defense is a positive trend for his career. Next Sunday’s matchup will be against a hungry Jacksonville team which recorded five interceptions against Ben Roethlisberger and whose secondary has caused issues for quarterbacks all season. While Goff will likely continue to have a strong season, this next matchup may be the last hiccup before he gets back to where he was the first few weeks of the season.

Keenan Allen

4 receptions, 67 yards

While the Los Angeles Chargers finally managed to collect a win this season, Allen was unable to provide big numbers as Sunday was dominated by running back Melvin Gordon. Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers threw 44 pass attempts in the game, including 12 directed toward Allen, but the pair was only able to connect for four receptions. Hope is not lost, though, as high target numbers are a positive sign for Allen; he remains a safe start going into future weeks. Next week, the Chargers face a crumbling Raiders team possibly without Derek Carr, which is trending to be an interesting matchup despite these two teams’ antithetical beginnings to the season.

DeSean Jackson

5 receptions, 106 yards

Jackson had a solid outing against the New England Patriots despite a difficult 19-14 loss at home in Tampa Bay. Jackson looks as though he has returned to elite form as he was able to grab a difficult sideline pass and tapping both feet in bounds. Later, during the fourth quarter, quarterback Jameis Winston found Jackson in stride with a pass over the middle, where Jackson was able to turn the short reception into a 41-yard gain after sprinting up the field. Despite the loss, this game also signaled the return of running back Doug Martin, who quickly re-asserted himself as the team’s number one run option. Having a solidified running threat should relieve some pressure on Winston and open up passing lanes for Jackson to make some more big plays.

Marshawn Lynch

12 rush, 43 yards, 1 TD

Do not let the touchdown fool you, Lynch is still not worthy of earning a starting running back spot in most fantasy leagues. While he was able to punch in a short three-yard touchdown in the third quarter, his average yards per carry stats have been abysmal this season, totaling in at 3.4 so far. Lynch’s inability to produce, combined with the uncertain status of starting quarterback Derek Carr, who missed Sunday’s game versus the Ravens, continues to omit red flags for Lynch as a fantasy running back.

Ethan Epstein writes for Bear Bytes, the Daily Californian’s sports blog. Contact him at [email protected].

• MikeD

Lynch will have a big game this weekend. Don’t drop him from your lineups! You’ve been warned!