Red flag warning issued for East Bay; weather conditions ‘critical’

Smog and smoke engulfs Berkeley
Deborah Chen/Staff

The heavy winds and dry conditions that caused 17 wildfires in the North Bay are predicted to return Wednesday and potentially affect parts of the East Bay.

The National Weather Service issued a red flag warning for California on Wednesday, stating that low humidity and “gusty northerly winds” will combine with dry fuels to produce “critical” fire weather conditions. A red flag warning is the highest level of weather alerts and is issued only for weather events that may result in “extreme fire behavior” within 24 hours, according to the CAL FIRE website.

According to the warning, the North Bay mountains, East Bay hills and Santa Cruz mountains are all vulnerable.

Alameda County issued a Nixle alert Wednesday encouraging community members to park their cars in driveways or garages to leave streets clear for emergency vehicles. The alert also urged people to be cautious while using barbecues and power equipment.

The red flag warning will remain in effect from 11 p.m. Wednesday to 5 p.m. Oct. 12.

Check back for updates.

Contact Harini Shyamsundar and Ashley Wong at [email protected].

• Rob Appeldorn

Maybe Oakland, Berkeley and Alameda county police and sheriffs could block the entrances to the hills and limit access to residents only?