Maximino Martinez Commons evacuated after dryer fire

martinez_anaisabeldiaz_staff
Ana Isabel Diaz/Staff

Berkeley Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at Maximino Martinez Commons on Thursday evening.

Residents of Martinez Commons were evacuated about 7:40 p.m., after a fire alarm went off in the building. According to BFD Battalion Chief Bill Kehoe, BFD received reports of a fire alarm going off at Martinez Commons. Firefighters arrived on the scene and discovered that there was a reported dryer fire in the building.

“We’ve got companies on scene right now,” Kehoe said. “Those guys are calling for additional help — they’re saying we do have a small dryer fire.”

Jim Xu/Staff

Jim Xu/Staff

Mark Unger/Staff

Mark Unger/Staff

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

Please keep our community civil. Comments should remain on topic and be respectful.
Read our full comment policy